Another (My) 636 Conversion...

Post here on any modifications you have done, or have found for the Kawi

Moderator: BRP

_vertical.flight_

Another (My) 636 Conversion...

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Behold, even more so now, the Franken-Bike!

A work in progress.

Link to the full photo album for those that want it: http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/leg_of_tape/636%20Front%20End/

Still waiting on the last odds and ends to come in, but started removal and prep work today. Hoping to have the bike off the stands and ready to roll by Friday afternoon. Here's a couple highlights so far:

Stay tuned for more! Leg out ~ :moto
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
djrussell

Re: Another (My) 636 Conversion...

Postby djrussell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 am

:thumbup: lookin' good.
cra116

Postby cra116 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm

What exhaust is that??
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:50 pm

djrussell wrote::thumbup: lookin' good.

Thanks! Should look REALLY good come this weekend!
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 pm

cra116 wrote:What exhaust is that??

Carbon Hindle canister off an R1, with Hindle headers. Had to weld in an adapter to make it fit though. Sounds nice and beefy :ugeek:
dmarsingill

Postby dmarsingill » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:25 am

I like how you rattlecanned everything flat black. I would do the whole bike.

Donald
'07 Blue 650
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:34 pm

LOL thanks. But actually the only thing matte black is the frame; the engine, radiator and triples are all gloss black engine enamel. I used to have the bike all black, when I had Cheetah fairings. Looked mean!

Well anyway, after a few trials and tribulations this past weekend, and a bunch o shit later, this project is on standby until I can find another wheel. The guy I was getting it from on the WERA boards ended up shipping me a REAR wheel and REAR rotor, when I never once mentioned anything about a REAR. I think the guy's half retarded, but at least he's picking up the tab for return shipping, and refunding me all the cash once he gets the package. Still makes me want to kill kittens. So anyway, I'm looking for a front wheel and rotors again. If anyone has anything, chime up please!

Mocked up the upper fairing on the bike the other night. It's looking good, just have to figure out the wheel and I'm back on the road!

biketechted

Postby biketechted » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 am

Stupid kittens!
Good luck with the wheel and thanks for posting your work. I'll surely reference it one day. :cool
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:04 pm

At long last....

The fruits of my labors....

Bon appetit!

Decided to polish the headers while I was at it...

And there you have it. I'm not entirely thrilled with the paint on the new front wheel, but it will have to wait. I haven't gotten a chance to test out the new suspension yet, but I'll post back when I have had some ample time to evaluate them versus the stock suspension. My guess is that now I'm going to hate the rear shock even more and have to buy a Penske! :fool Oh, the saga never ends...
ZiggyManSaad

Postby ZiggyManSaad » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:39 am

Hot damn that is sexy. Love the graphics.
-Ziggy

Arrow Slip-on Db Killer killed
LSL Drag Bars
Integrated tail light
Woodcraft Sliders and Spools
Hesa Fire Headlight
Custom fender eliminator
cefoskey

Postby cefoskey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm

someone needs to break down and get

Image Image
06 Ninja 650RS SOLD | 06 Daytona 675
biketechted

Postby biketechted » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:57 pm

cefoskey wrote:someone needs to break down and get

:what

_vertical.flight_ wrote:Image

cefoskey

Postby cefoskey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:38 pm

biketechted wrote::what

Is there a seat cowl hiding in that picture somewhere?
Image Image
06 Ninja 650RS SOLD | 06 Daytona 675
biketechted

Postby biketechted » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:55 am

My mistake. I must have had my Jack Daniels goggles on.
You're right though. It would top things off.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:26 am

Either your tire is mounted backwards or your wheel needs flipped. Check the arrows on the tire side wall against the arrows on the rim and the brake rotors.

Thanks for the thread and all the pics. I have my stack of front end in the corner of my shop waiting for my time. I'll contribuite my trials with the conversion as well.
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

biketechted wrote:My mistake. I must have had my Jack Daniels goggles on.
You're right though. It would top things off.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have thought about a seat cowl, for awhile actually....I just keep deciding not to do it, because I *hate* how Kawasaki chose to use the mounting hardware. IMO it really removes value and aesthetics from the accessory. Had they not done this, I would have one already :sm

The lines and everything else about the cowl are A+. Well, aside from the price tag. I've also thought about the Catalyst superbike tail, and almost pulled the trigger on that too when I got the other Catalyst pieces, but every once in a great while the old lady likes to hop on back - so ultimately I didn't go that route.

Instead, I think this is going to be the next purchase for the beast, because my nice front end now makes me despise that horrible excuse for a shock on the rear even more:

Image,
Image, or

:cycle

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations? 97% of my riding is commuting, but my New Year's resolution is to spend waaay more time at the track than I have been - which wasn't any time at all last year! I mean I have no excuse....I work right across the street, literally, from PBIR....
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Retro Rocketeer wrote:Either your tire is mounted backwards or your wheel needs flipped. Check the arrows on the tire side wall against the arrows on the rim and the brake rotors.

Thanks for the thread and all the pics. I have my stack of front end in the corner of my shop waiting for my time. I'll contribuite my trials with the conversion as well.

Holy crap dude. I don't know how the hell I didn't catch that!!! I just looked at the arrow on the rim when I put the wheel on. That tire must be mounted back-asswards. I've already put a good 50 miles or so on the tire like that, and nothing feels strange. I know this is probably a very stupid question, but is it extremely unsafe to ride like this? I planned on getting new shoes for the bike here real soon anyway, so if I can continue to ride until I get the new rubber that would be sweet.

Thanks for the super-keen eyeball! :cool
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Don't lay awake at night stressing it. Extreemly unsafe? No, not extreemly. Somewhat/sorta unsafe is more accurate. Tires have direction arrows for two reasons. 1 - is for tread design and to optimize the tread's ability to pump the water away in the wet. 2 - is for the lamination direction. Your tire used to be a belt. The belt was wrapped in a direction. The arrow faces the opposite direction the belt was wrapped. That way, when you are on the brakes (the front tire's strongest force to resist), the tire doesn't come unwrapped. Your rear tire is mounted so the wrapping direction can resist acceleration forces. Me, I'd turn it around so it wouldn't be eggin' the back of my mind and for any wearing characteristics. Also, turn it around so people don't keep telling you your tire's on backwards.
djrussell

Postby djrussell » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Retro Rocketeer wrote:Tires have direction arrows for two reasons. 1 - is for tread design and to optimize the tread's ability to pump the water away in the wet.

i've never really understood how this tread design and similar ones can do this when they turn the correct way. the way VF has it mounted, it looks like it would pump water out away from the tire. if it's turning the correct way, it looks like it would pump water towards the center.

maybe it has more to do with shedding water while leaned over. not that i would mount a tire backwards, it's just always kinda puzzled me. anyone know the answer?
2007 650R

Postby 2007 650R » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm

I've noticed the same thing and dont quite understand it either. Someone school us please.
I now ride a 2009 Monster Edition ZX6R.
Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 am

Take a look at this excellent interview with Avon chief designer:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Ride/RiDE ... interview/

Halfway down he explains what they call "Inverted Front Groove". The way I read it, the deciding factor is that it lessens stepped wear/cupping of the thread. Prolly still drains plenty of water in real world conditions...

It seems to me every sport-touring tire from the major manufacturers has adopted this 'opposite-V' principle within the past 2-4 years (some longer); Pilot Road2, Angel ST, BT023, Road-/Sportsmart, RoadAttack2, Avon. - Metzeler Z8 being a notable exception.
djrussell

Postby djrussell » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 am

:cool thanks, simon.

But isn’t there one ideal pattern that everyone should follow?

From a physics point of view the grooves do have to follow a certain design. At one point it did seem that everyone else had missed the point on tread patterns. Without mentioning any names, you’d get horrendous stepped wear on some of their tyres, the fronts in particular. You had to throw them away long before they were worn out, simply because the pattern was all wrong. Avon pioneered inverted front grooves on front tyres, recognising the fact that the rear tyre is about traction and the front is about braking. For years people told us we were putting our tyres on the wrong way round.

There is a cosmetic angle as well. You don’t want to put a horrible-looking tyre on your bike.
cknauf

Postby cknauf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Retro Rocketeer wrote:Don't lay awake at night stressing it. Extreemly unsafe? No, not extreemly. Somewhat/sorta unsafe is more accurate. Tires have direction arrows for two reasons. 1 - is for tread design and to optimize the tread's ability to pump the water away in the wet. 2 - is for the lamination direction. Your tire used to be a belt. The belt was wrapped in a direction. The arrow faces the opposite direction the belt was wrapped. That way, when you are on the brakes (the front tire's strongest force to resist), the tire doesn't come unwrapped. Your rear tire is mounted so the wrapping direction can resist acceleration forces. Me, I'd turn it around so it wouldn't be eggin' the back of my mind and for any wearing characteristics. Also, turn it around so people don't keep telling you your tire's on backwards.

Depends on the tire. Pirelli SC rears, for example, can be flipped to prolong useful life if one side is getting worn more than the other.
BRP

Postby BRP » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm

We've flipped rears in an emergency situation.
Most of the trackside vendors say not to do it.
Until you are a good enough rider to really appreciate
and know how to manage race tires, you should use
dual compound tires{ones made for street and trackdays}.
cknauf

Postby cknauf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah, the Dunlop, Michelin, and Bridgestone guys will tell you not to flip but a knowledgable Pirelli vendor knows the tire is good for it. That's how I justify the higher-priced (and stickier) SuperCorsas -- I can flip the rear and get another couple races out of them.
demoore1969

Postby demoore1969 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:48 pm

will this conversion work on a 2009 thourgh 2011 ninja 650? I have a 2011 which is same as 2009 in parts. I have a bent fork and want to do this swap. Is the steering stem the same? Anyone know what is the best swap I can do on the 2011 650?
riversbikes

Postby riversbikes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 am

You might want to give JRi shocks a try... they are lighter, made in the USA, and comparable to Ohlins, Elka, and Penske. Check out a video review here:

http://www.mbducati.blogspot.ca/

Return to “Performance Upgrades”