Cope-ing with some pain right now

Shoot the bull here

Moderator: BRP

Cope

Cope-ing with some pain right now

Postby Cope » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Got cut off yesterday morning, nothing that I could do to avoid just some bad luck and a really really piss poor cage driver. Bike got towed, cant get insurance involved until mon. Got out of Trauma unit with a cracked rib and a whole lot of cool colors all down my right side. While I was laying on the ground I could hear parts of my bike being run over.. horrible sound. My brand new pair of Shift Fuel boots did a damn fine job! hadn't worn them more than 4 times and this happens, they were beat to hell and are not usable but I came out of this wreck without a single scratch on my feet. Helmet didn't touch the ground from the looks of it but is getting replaced anyhow.

Stuck in the house for a bit... bad luck for you all now you have to see more of me for a week or so. :-o
"Others of you will choose imprisonment, for the fear of freedom and the responsibility for personal choice is too much to bear."
perazzimx14

Re: Cope-ing with some pain right now

Postby perazzimx14 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Bad luck..I think not!! You are still on the green side of the earth and only minor bumps and bangs.

Who care about the bike even if you didn't have insurance you will have lived to fight another day.

Glad you are alright, let insurance do their thing and either get your ride fixed or replaced. Remember it's only a material object you (not to sound gay, (not that there is anything wrong with that)) are irreplaceable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if get the helmet replaced they are only good for one impact like a drop from two feet or an accident. It may not looked damaged but why chance it.
tribulation138

Postby tribulation138 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:15 pm

were you wearing a jacket? how did that hold up? or gloves?
I have to many mods to post here.
barbos

Postby barbos » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Wow, that sucks! Glad to hear you are OK. The rest can be fixed
MeanderingMan

Postby MeanderingMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:22 am

Bummer about the accident; however, like others here, I am glad to hear you are relatively unscathed. Cracked ribs are no fun, and try not to sneeze for the next couple of weeks or so.

Hopefully, insurance won't add another injury to the list! They can be sticky sometimes.
2whlgeezer

Postby 2whlgeezer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 am

Heal soon! No laughing for a while (not that you would find anything too humorous right now...).
stang ninja

Postby stang ninja » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 am

Glad to hear you came out relativaly ok and repairable.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:17 pm

Glad you are not badly hurt. Heal well. Am curious about how you were cut off- left turn in front of you? Car pulls in from right? Or? Turn left in front of me 6 yrs ago- I could not walk for a year. Just last nite, I'm in my car, approaching an intersection. Light is green for me. Cars stopped on right. Sporty car goes from stop, to accelerating across the intersection- light red for him. A scare, but no one hit him, he goes speeding off. If I was on the bike, closer, would he have see me? -hit me??- is what flashed thru my mind. God, there are some idiots out there!
Cope

Postby Cope » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Jacket got a good scuff on the side that I'm not multicolored, It was an $80 coat

The Shift fuel boots impressed me the most, they look like I took a flame thrower to them after pulling them out of the wood-chipper, but my feet and ankles are fine. Right ankle a little swollen.. but hey what do ya expect. I waited till they went on sale. I'll be getting another pair immediately and writing them with my evaluation.

Helmet didn't get a scratch but I'll be replacing it anyhow just because its so cheap and good insurance to have a fresh helmet.

Gloves were the same, not a scratch and hopefully if the insurance forks out well enough I'll replace them.

I have full coverage on all of my vehicles for this very reason, my insurance included uninsured and uninsured bodily injury... though I have no clue if the guy was insured yet. If he does have insurance I'm going to make sure they hammer him with my bills, since hes an asshat and could deserve a good wake-up call while driving. This isn't how it will go down though, I'll get the bare minimum as compensation if hes even insured, and I'll suck it up riding with a cracked rib while jerkoff just pays a higher premium and another tick mark goes on a statistic somewhere for a motorcycle accidents, to be used at a later date by some concerned mother to infringe on our freedom to ride motorcycles while looking cool at the same time. (mostly the meds talking there).

I will post pictures of the bike when I get to see it, its still in some tow yard until my insurance company gets ahold of the accident report and decides to have his insurance company (if applicable) pull it out. I dumped the bike before reaching his vehicle so I'm pretty confident that there is a good bit of my bike left to repair. I want to see how well the woodcraft sliders held up and will post pics for all when I can.

Norco meds are good. That is all. Thanks for all prayers and thoughts of healing from all of you sorts that do that.

Oh... P.S. or whatever. I am the guy who on a daily basis rides without leg protection. That changes now. My right knee is ground beef (will post pics of that too) and is very unpleasant.
"Others of you will choose imprisonment, for the fear of freedom and the responsibility for personal choice is too much to bear."
lamy_chop

Postby lamy_chop » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:27 pm

GET A FREAKIN LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paris400

Postby paris400 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Cope wrote: Oh... P.S. or whatever. I am the guy who on a daily basis rides without leg protection. That changes now. My right knee is ground beef (will post pics of that too) and is very unpleasant.

Yikes! I don't want to look at those pictures but I know I will.

Don't worry about price of gear, especially when you've got collision coverage. Textile is decent and not too expensive; good for one fall but with the CE approved armor your knees won't look like chop meat.

Same thing happened to me in a lowside once - had all the gear except knee protection! My knee hit the ground first and had a hole that showed my kneecap and swelled up something fierce, but the rest of me was fine. I had some bruises and some gravel in my underwear but other than that I was fine.
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:23 am

Glad to hear you're alright.

I'm Cope-ing with some pain myself right now. About a week ago I was taking a right hand turn in a wal-mart parking lot of all places, had the bike leaned over too far - that KLX sure does lean easily - hit some oil and went down on my right side. My right shoulder took the full force of the impact and I managed to break my collarbone in two places. It's not my first broken collarbone so at least I know what to expect this time. The pain's not too bad, percacet is the bomb diggity.

The rear tire on my KLX is squared off. Does anyone know if this may have been a contributing factor in the traction loss?

No other at fault driver in this one so I've got to foot the bill myself, sux.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes, square off could be a factor. Think of riding along on a corner vs. a curve of the tire.
Cope

Postby Cope » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Ouch... Collar bones are probably worse to break than a couple of ribs! I hope YOU get better soon, if your bike is a little worse off for the wear, send me a PM I might be able to help.
electjohn

Postby electjohn » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:02 am

Not much difference between ribs or coller bones, have broken both among other things, none is a comfortable thing.
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:51 pm

I'd imagine that broken ribs would be worse. As long as a collarbone is stabilized the pain is kept to a minimum. But being in pain with every breath, as I assume would be the case with broken ribs, seems like it would be far worse.

Thankfully the bike came out much better than I did. The only things that hit the ground were the little piece of plastic that covers the muffler and the throttle side hand grip. With the aid of a kind hearted passer-by I was able to stand it up and it started with no problem. After thoroughly looking it over my brother-in-law rode it home for me with no issues. Two minor cosmetic repairs and it'll be good as new. Thanks for the offer though.
electjohn

Postby electjohn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 am

To me the worst part of broken ribs is that they bind them up real tight, gets kind of itchy, unless you sneeze or cough.
Cope

Postby Cope » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Heres whats left of the bike... I have no idea how the bike did after I hit the ground, happened pretty quickly n all. The Ins. Co. totaled it. I own it so I am going to go down and take a look to see how the frame and tree are, if it is cheaper to get it off my settlement than waiting till it goes to auction I may do that, but I doubt anything is cheap when it comes to the Ins. Co.

Oh! check out them sliders... they did a damn fine job! Its a shame that most of the damage is somewhere else lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A-J

Postby A-J » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:38 pm

CrazyBaldhead wrote:I'd imagine that broken ribs would be worse. As long as a collarbone is stabilized the pain is kept to a minimum. But being in pain with every breath, as I assume would be the case with broken ribs, seems like it would be far worse.

Having broken both at the same time in my crash back in March, I have to disagree. The collarbone was WAY worse than the 2 ribs, for the simple fact that you lose all mobility on that side. The ribs took longer to heal though, and will forever be vulnerable to breakage in the same spot with a lot less force.

To the OP - don't let anyone bullshit you. The other guy caused the accident, so his insurance is liable for everything, including your gear. Pull out your receipts. You **should** get remibursed for everything on a pro-rated basis from the time you purchased it except the helmet - you get full value for that (and don't let them tell you they have to take the gear, cause you don't have to give itto them.) And don't wait for his insurance to make an offer on the bike. Have your insurance do the bike - they'll do a much better payout, and then they recoup what they paid you from the other guy.

Don't bring a lawyer in right out the gate. Although you absolutely can, my buddy crashed almost a year and a half ago, got a lawyer right away and hasn't seen a dime. I crashed in March, got paid for my bike through my company within 2 weeks, got paid for my gear from the biatch's company in less than a month, and got my settlement check from them as soon as I finished healing. And they paid for everything - all my copays at the hospital, including the ER, all meds, time off work, yada yada. The only "almost" downside of letting my insurance handle the bike was that they subtracted my deductible from the payout. BUT. When they recovered the total payout form the other insurance company, they cut me a check for the deductible, so I got it all back. FYI - the "offer" for my bike form the other insurance company was $1200 less than what I got from my own. God bless State Farm!

If you have any questions, PM me your number and I'll call ya.
Cope

Postby Cope » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:02 am

I think you just about summed it all up :shock: I'm a few steps behind in that process but it is happening at the same pace as you described, receipts and invoices have gone out to my rep and hes fully aware that I'm not paying for sh**, but I'll fork out my deductible for a while as you mentioned as its my end of the deal I signed. Not interested in a lawyer, like I said the guy had a mullet.... ... .. All this from a mullet, so I'm not having hot flashes of one day living the lifestyles of the rich and famous because of a bike wreck. Getting back on 2 wheels asap, I'm interested in that.
My gear was so bargain shopped that even his insurance company will laugh when I send them a bill for it, I think between the gloves, coat, helmet, and boots etc. is maybe 400-ish. My Insurance Co. said that they would replace my helmet and all the related widgets as per their policy, I told the guy where to save some bucks and buy an identical helmet with tinted visor and fog guard for under $75, he has been super cool to me since.. I guess it comes out of office funds.
coop

Postby coop » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:15 pm

sorry to hear that bud. heal up fast. that bike looks like it could get back on the road from here streetfighter. i hope you come out with your bike back and some boot
07 650r: Bruce Fab slip on, Race Tech GVE/Springs, BRP clutch springs, -1 front sprocket, BRP air box mod, Sport Bars 2.0, DIY fender elim. DIY CBR 600rr rearsets
Cope

Postby Cope » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:25 am

So it gets better... turns out the guy IS insured. Funny thing is... its the same insurance company that I have (Viking) and that automatically waives the deductible. Now to the tricky part, I have two agents from the same company telling me that they are not sure they can cover my All of my medical bills, so I have to go back to my side of the same company and see if under-insured is an option.

This is pretty retarded.

Like I said before, the guy had a mullet... ... so I'm thinking Larry H Parker can't do shit for me here. Going after the guy is not my desire at all.. and I always figured, well if you go after them and they have no money.. all that's really happening is someone's shitty life is getting shittier. But, we did some quick math from what the hospital has billed our insurance for so far, and its not as bad as what we were thinking. Looks like it might come in around the $10k range... CA state law sets the liability at a minimum $15k, lets hope his coverage was not the absolute cheapest one around.

The rep Tossed $4250.00 at me for my ride, its about what I figured. Already eyeballing a couple auction bikes and whatnot, yay for winter.
lamy_chop

Postby lamy_chop » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:13 pm

i'll say it again...............

GET A FUCKING LAWYER NOW!!!!!!!!
especially with the insurance situation you're in.

with all due respect a-j, your advice is not very responsible. as much as i hate it, getting legal help in this kind of situation is THE BEST thing you can do for yourself. i appologize for sounding like a freaking comercial, but i've been in that situation a few times too many and the only way i've gotten ANYTHING done was through getting help from a lawyer.
Cope

Postby Cope » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:23 pm

On a positive note, I found a replacement to ride :ugeek:
Whatcha think? I go to pick er up as soon as it stops snowing. The guy selling it obviously has good taste :problem:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cope

Postby Cope » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:39 am

done deal. its definitely fast...
eddywardos

Postby eddywardos » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm

what is it?
Cope

Postby Cope » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:25 am

04 Z1000
lscld

Postby lscld » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 am

Very nice! I've acquired a liking for the new Zs.
That's a sweet bike with with obviously a lot of money put into it.
Have you gotten a chance to ride it much?
Cope

Postby Cope » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 pm

One ride, that was the ride home. I need to actually purchase a new helmet and boots before I get all crazy on the new ride. The 2010 Z is a total a$$magnet! I want one... but then I'd like the sorta paycheck that can afford that kinda thing.
barbos

Postby barbos » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Cope wrote:The 2010 Z is a total a$$magnet!

I agree! :drool

Return to “Off Topic”