Too early to give up on Spies?

Post here about all things off road.
Not Kawasaki or 650 specific

Moderator: BRP

CrazyBaldhead

Too early to give up on Spies?

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:43 am

I don't blame him for his Jerez crash, everyone's tires were gone long before he went down, but with his disappointing showing in Qatar and now the DNF in Jerez he's destroying my hopes at a fantasy league win as I keep putting him on or near the podium.

I was convinced that he'd be able to run with the four aliens but now I'm not so sure. Could he be just another also-ran?
biketechted

Re: Too early to give up on Spies?

Postby biketechted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 am

Waaaaay too early.
Ben Spies has taken every step in his upcoming career with great thought and intent.

To discount anyone after yesterdays race is foolish. just look at the picture of Hayden's tire below.

Nicky Hayden has proven himself to be one of the best wet weather riders out there once again proving that yesterday. However, I don't think he'll be making the podium for the rest of the season. Hell Colin Edwards almost did it to, but he's a mid pack racer.

Ben Spies will finish within the top 4 overall this year barring accident or injury, and I'll reference that comment in the future.

Give Spies a year or two to get things together. Also, keep in mind that this is the last year for 800cc and they will switch to 1000cc for next year resulting in a completely different bike on which everyone will have to start over.

I think the bigger problem is putting all your eggs into one basket at this point in the Spies game. Give him a few more races and I'm sure you'll be able to have some success.
In my opinion, at this point in time, your money would be better spent on Lorentho :roll: , and Stoner for wins.

My entertainment dollars will be spent watching Simocelli piss people off, while pulling for Spies to podium.

Addohm

Postby Addohm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:45 am

lol how can you ride hard on a tire like that!

<3 Hayden
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 am

biketechted wrote:Ben Spies will finish within the top 4 overall this year barring accident or injury, and I'll reference that comment in the future.

That's a bold statement. I don't have that much faith in him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doggin' on him, I just don't think he's shown anything so far this season to warrant that kind of optimism.
biketechted wrote:Also, keep in mind that this is the last year for 800cc and they will switch to 1000cc for next year resulting in a completely different bike on which everyone will have to start over.

A very interesting point. I think next year is the year we'll see if he can really be an elite rider in MotoGP. This year he's learning a new bike with the factory Yamaha machine but next year everyone will be, a level playing field.[/quote]

I had Stoner winning in Qatar and Lorenzo in Jerez but I had Spies third and fifth respectively. Fifth in Jerez may have been achievable but I should have known better than to put him on the podium in his first race on a new bike.

I agree completely about the entertainment value of watching Simoncelli piss people off. I love that guy.
BRP

Postby BRP » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 am

Ben has proven that he can come from behind.
Problem was that he keep pushing once he took over 2nd
even though he had a big gap.
That's one of the things I liked about having radio communication
with my rider. I would have been all over him to back it down, as
others were crashing.
I was wondering what the tires were going to look like.
Can't tell if that was a full rain, or intermediate.
There was not enough water on the track to keep those tires cool {not over heating}.
Sucks, I'm a huge Spies fan.
I like Colin a lot, but it's time for him to retire.
This was a learning experiencing for Ben, he'll do fine.
Remember the Honda's and Ducati's have been faster than the Yamaha's
this year.
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:19 am

Indeed it was too early to give up on him. Spies so totally dominated the action in Assen that he beat Casey Stoner -- the man who had thoroughly dominated almost every other race so far this season -- by more than seven seconds. What a performance! Granted, Simoncelli's taking out of himself and Lorenzo made it an easy race to win but he still had to take it home . . . so to speak.

The 50th anniversary livery looked pretty cool too.

biketechted

Postby biketechted » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 am

Man! Stuck here on vacation with no DVR to record all the races. Oh well at least I've got my moto go app.
It's awesome seeing my predictions coming true. I can't help but think that this is just what Spies needed after struggling up to this point. You can bet your ass I'm going to be waiting for Mugello this weekend. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that those Hondas will get beat again, but know that's a tall order to fill.
Also can't wait for Ducati to get their shit together to get Nicky out of the middle.
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:02 pm

I know what you mean about wanting the Hondas to get beat. I guess it's kinda like rooting against the Yankees, they're so damn good that it's no fun if they win because they should win. Plus, Casey Stoner is really unlikeable in my opinion. I've got nothing against Pedrosa, he may be a little soft though. Dovizioso is a great rider but doesn't really stand out in any way.

My guys are Rossi (yeah I like him because he's great but also because he's got a dynamic personality), Spies and Crutchlow. Can't wait to see Cal on a factory bike. As soft as Pedrosa seems to be Crutchlow is definitely just as gritty. Love that dude.

Simoncelli definitely adds an entertainment factor 'cause you know he's gonna do something stupid, it's just a matter of when. I hope he gets his shit straightened out, though, because if he does he'll be fighting for the win at every track and lord knows MotoGP needs more riders near the front.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Spies has had a rude awakening of the Lorenzo kind. Tough being team second fiddle to a superstar. Just ask Edwards and Hayden. I've been a Nicky fan for as long as I can remember. He's a class act. Humble as anybody I've ever met. However, unless the new 1000's are more like the old 990's, I don't see him at the top anymore. I'm also a Rossi fan. It would be so awesome to see Rossi do to Ducati what he did to the Yamahas. That would sure knock Lorenzo down a notch. If Rossi transforms the Ducati, then perhaps we'll see Nicky on some dry podiums. That said, I don't care which brand takes wins, I like variety of racer on the podium more than I care about brand, as I have no factory loyalties.
BRP

Postby BRP » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:26 pm

1Casey STONERHonda152
2Jorge LORENZOYamaha133
3Andrea DOVIZIOSOHonda119
4Valentino ROSSIDucati91
5Nicky HAYDENDucati77
6Ben SPIESYamaha74
7Dani PEDROSAHonda69
8Hiroshi AOYAMAHonda56
9Colin EDWARDSYamaha53
10Marco SIMONCELLIHonda50
biketechted

Postby biketechted » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:08 am

As good as Spies looked for his first win, it was good luck that got him the win.
At this point I think he's still racing for fourth or fifth place. Hondas are still faster and Lorenzo is the man above Spies...for this year at least.
I'll predict 1-2 podiums and if he gets lucky, very lucky, he'll get another win. But I'm not holding my breath.
All in all, Moto GP is really a snore. One can only hope the switch to larger engines, and the addition of more riders in the race, will bring the excitement back to the level that SBK has right now.
Gary's list of finishers is more typical of what has been and what will be for the rest of this year.
BRP

Postby BRP » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 am

It's not a finishers list, it's the current point standings.
I agree on his win, but he was still turning the same lap times
as the front runners, and he continues to do so every race.
If he finishes in the top 5 every race, I would be quite happy for him.

Return to “Racing-Track Days-Stunting”