West Coast Group Ride

Post here if you want to get one organized or are looking for one

Moderators: BRP, 650R_Rider

xxXJasonXxx

West Coast Group Ride

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 pm

I figured we needed a dedicated thread for the proposed west coast group ride next spring/summer. There has been talk about a ride in Oregon, I would love to make that happen, have some of you Califoreigners come up and ride! Let's here your ideas, get something rolling.
TCRIDER

Re: West Coast Group Ride

Postby TCRIDER » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 pm

I already said I am in. Someone mentioned they owned a motel in the middle of Cali but I would much rather go to Oregon.

I know someone also mentioned a military discount for somewhere in Oregon
Varment

Postby Varment » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 pm

I'm in though It would have to fit in between Work, School, National Guard and my kids' shedule lol. Like I said before.. A ride june through August would be ideal but I can make something else work...
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

2005 Racing Yellow Triumph Daytona 650

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
denham

Postby denham » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 am

I should be able to make this assuming the timing and everything all works out. California would be too far south for me, but I'd go down to Oregon! Please show us some of the great roads the US west coast has to offer! :)
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 am

There are a lot of good roads in Oregon. I prefer stuff that's nice and twisty, not a big fan of miles of drone. I know of quite a few good roads in this area, and along the coast, between the ocean and the Cascades and down into NorCal.
MeanderingMan

Postby MeanderingMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Oregon might work for me too. So maybe we could tentatively make this a destination.
Varment

Postby Varment » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:01 pm

The McKensie pass is a really twisty road with tons of hairpins and several different scenery options, Sisters is high desert, then lava fields, then dense forest... Really nice drive with a rest area/observatory at the top...

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2148/
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
lostrikan24

Postby lostrikan24 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:32 pm

Could someone possibly post a map with routes? Google map is pretty good for all that, but I don't know the area. I'm in San Diego. I may join in depending on the ride up there. I don't know about riding for hours up there, to then go ride some more :lol
The hotel/motel stay sounds pretty good. Anyone?
HRM...And what was my signature in the other forum?...HRM
Varment

Postby Varment » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 pm

With enough heads up and for those who need a hotel I may be able to use my military discount, I would have to make reservations and find out at all the stops if I will be able to do this. Would be $70 a night, unless you share a room then its $35 each. Given enough time I could probably get us in to some pretty nice places that are normall $100+ a night. Also going to look into the Camp Rilea stay... $5 a night, on hwy 101 near Astoria. Orange Safety Vests would be required on post however...

denham

Postby denham » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Varment, it's great of you to try and extend these discounts to us for a group meet, thanks! :) It would certainly help encourage me to do everything I can to make it down for a meet next year. And safety vests wouldn't bother me in the slightest...
trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm in for sure. Would be better if we can nail down a date so I can schedule the vacation. I'm good for three days, but if more, I need to use vacation days.
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
God Bless our men & women in uniform
http://www.honorandremember.info/index.php
Varment

Postby Varment » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 am

denham wrote:Varment, it's great of you to try and extend these discounts to us for a group meet, thanks! :) It would certainly help encourage me to do everything I can to make it down for a meet next year. And safety vests wouldn't bother me in the slightest...

No problem, what good are benefits if you don't use em??? Not exactly sure what I can do yet, I've never tried anything like this before. I might have a couple of my guard buddies that would like to tag along, I'll see if I can get them interested in November drill. We also need to get a tentative date agreed upon like trukdryverchuck mentioned... That way vacation days can be taken and arranged, and maybe a route so I can get lodging organized...

TCRIDER

Postby TCRIDER » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Any date is ok with me.
trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:33 pm

I'd say April or September so we can avoid any unwanted heat spells.
Any thoughts?
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
Varment

Postby Varment » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:09 am

We'll have to get with Some dealerships like Gary said at one time before, see if they would like to sponsor an event and when...

trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:23 pm

I dont think any of the Kawi dealers up here would be up for it except Motosport Kawasaki in Hillsboro. They sponser a motocross team, but I'm sure we would have to give them a big enough group for it to be worth it.
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
Varment

Postby Varment » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:11 am

Agreed, wouldn't be much to sponsor with four of us... :lol: I guess we could start asking dealers if they would sponsor an event and how many they would be willing to sponsor. I can start asking around in Eugene and Salem if you could start asking there in Portland Chuck...

Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:02 pm

My experiences over the years tell me that Sept. is better chance for less rain than April. But it just rains a lot in OR (excluding "the back side deserts"), not like CA Central/Southern at all.
trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Varment wrote:Agreed, wouldn't be much to sponsor with four of us... :lol: I guess we could start asking dealers if they would sponsor an event and how many they would be willing to sponsor. I can start asking around in Eugene and Salem if you could start asking there in Portland Chuck...
Ok , I will put some feelers out.
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
raynz

Postby raynz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:09 am

+1

I'm in.

I beleive if we pin down an exact date first and foremost we will get a better following. Easier for people to arrange and make the commitment, as well as, allow everyone to start spreading the word and gain those additional riders (And do they have to be riding a 650 or Kawi for that matter? Stupid question... had to ask).

Perhaps their is a date where most people receive a long weekend and can obtain or book an extra day off if needed?

Once a date and ride is set in stone you can concentrate on hitting up the hotels and dealers for a possible sponsorship.

Just my 2 cents, sorry if im impeding... I know I just joined the forum however, I have been reading all of them for months since I picked up my 650... just never had my account activated until finally BRP created this nice new place.

Anyways, Im bantering... BTW, thank you all for your input from previous posts all around.
raynz
2007 Ninja 650R
Live on the
Redline
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 pm

Would Kawasaki USA be interested in some level of participation/sponsorship? Seems I remember such a thing at brand rallys I've been to in the past, and model meets as well (eg: Concours Owner Group, Gold Wings). Would such a request go thru a dealer? Or direct to KawUSA? Any one have experience with, know details of? Seems like the publicity/marketing/photo ops. would be attractive to Kaw.
TCRIDER

Postby TCRIDER » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:29 am

Yes we need a date.
raynz

Postby raynz » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Ok this is my date of suggestion.

Friday July 31 2009 to Monday August 3 2009 (4 days give or take).

Thoughts? Feelings?
raynz
2007 Ninja 650R
Live on the
Redline
TCRIDER

Postby TCRIDER » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:51 pm

Fine with me lol
Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:42 am

Works for me.... I just want to get to riding.. :cycle

trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:09 pm

Sounds like a minor consensus. I will schedule the vacation. :cool
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
Varment

Postby Varment » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:56 am

Sounds good to me, now we just need to come up with a number of others who are in for the same time. So far i think there are about four....

Truckdriverchuck
raynz
tcrider
varment
xxXJasonXxx + or - 2
Meanderingman

Anyone else want on the list?
Last edited by Varment on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeanderingMan

Postby MeanderingMan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Could you sum up where and when? Someone asked for Google maps. I won't ride down, but I'm not averse to flying down and renting a bike down there. We did that a year and a half ago in Vegas and it was a blast (I even rented a Black '06 Ninja 650!) This may coincide with the MeanderingMissus taking the kid back home to visit grandparents, so I might have an opportunity to come down for this.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Central coast Oregon, 7-31 to 8-3, "09? Yeah! I thnk it's clear of MotoGP at Laguna
Varment

Postby Varment » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 am

MeanderingMan wrote:Could you sum up where and when? Someone asked for Google maps. I won't ride down, but I'm not averse to flying down and renting a bike down there. We did that a year and a half ago in Vegas and it was a blast (I even rented a Black '06 Ninja 650!) This may coincide with the MeanderingMissus taking the kid back home to visit grandparents, so I might have an opportunity to come down for this.

Should be easiest for you to fly into portland and rent a bike from there, Chuck is closest and could meet up with you there. I am only about 3 and a half hours away and could also meet you there. I'm thinking portland would be the starting place.

I seem to remember Portland having a speedway, and I'm wondering what kind of people you have to know to get our group in there for an hour or two...

Return to “Group Rides”