West Coast Group Ride

Post here if you want to get one organized or are looking for one

Moderators: BRP, 650R_Rider

Varment

Re: West Coast Group Ride

Postby Varment » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Renting a bike even for a couple days is friggin spendy...

http://www.oregonmotorcyclerentals.com/

Might need to call and find out if a Canadian license is accepted here in Oregon, and accepted by the rental place. I'll keep looking for other places though...

there is this place but looks like they only rent out harley's

http://www.luxergy.com/ViewExp.php?id=11&menuid=9
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

2005 Racing Yellow Triumph Daytona 650

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Honinjsuz wrote:Central coast Oregon, 7-31 to 8-3, "09? Yeah! I thnk it's clear of MotoGP at Laguna

That should be okay for me. MotoGP is the Fourth of July weekend, so it's well clear of that. I would be for a Central Oregon coast starting point, I know a few people here that would probably be interested in going, a couple even have 650's.
Varment

Postby Varment » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:51 pm

ok, I'll add you to the list... I definately want to hit the coast on this ride, you have any must see roads?
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 pm

If we come down 101 through Coos County I know of a lot of good roads. Chuck has driven on 42 South, that's a decent one we could take, and I could string it together with a few others, depending if you want to stay on the coast along 101, or head inland through 42 to Roseburg, head this way from Roseburg. My favorite ride is out to Powers. We ride out there and have lunch all the time. It's about 15 miles out, and we just ride there and back most of the time. It can continue through inland, but it's a road best suited for a supermoto. It's slow going, the road is in poor shape, and there are sheer drop offs you DO NOT want to go off of. If we spend time on 101 I would hit either Langlois Mountain (also dead end, but totally worth it), or Shutters Creek. Both are slow speed and very technical. Shutters is probably better riding, but Langlois has a better view, and has a store at the bottom where we always stop for hot dogs. They are no strangers to motorcyclists there.

There is one road that I REALLY like, that goes from Cottage Grove to Loraine. It's super twisty, and freshly paved. I have ridden it a couple of times.

Kinda all depends on where you want to go, I guess. I have ridden all over Oregon, sand know of some good roads here and there, as long as we pass by this way I can guarantee some good roads.
Varment

Postby Varment » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:17 am

I was thinking of meeting in or near Portland to pick up those flying in and renting, then that night trying to get on a track there for an hour or two. then day two heading out hwy 30 to astoria then south on 101. we could be near coos county the end of day two. Day three could be finish 101 to 42 over to roseburg, 99 up to shady cove and then hit that twisty fresh paved road, i am really interested in that one.... I'm game for what ever anyone else is up for.

trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:20 am

I'm down with the freshly paved road. Sounds like fun. I can pass by P.I.R. and ask the track manager what kind of deals he has. But I've got no connections, so I bet we would have to pay. I pass by the track twice a week, sooner or later i will remember :drool to stop in and find out about track time.
:moto
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
God Bless our men & women in uniform
http://www.honorandremember.info/index.php
Varment

Postby Varment » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:55 am

The more we bring up there the more it might split the bill.... I have people up there too, I'll give a couple calls... Its just a thought anyway, I'm sure if not P.I.R. then we can find a track somewhere... Hell the fairgrounds here in Douglas County (Roseburg) has a circle track... :moto

This is also a moment where a sponsor would come in handy...

MeanderingMan

Postby MeanderingMan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Hmm ... I'll keep looking for other rental places. I've rented in the US before, had no trouble with my BCDL ... but there's always a first time. $100/day isn't that much, really, if it's vacation anyhow, but I want a similar bike to my own. A group ride is not a good time to get used to a completely different style of bike!

I've driven to Portland lots of times. It's less than a single day driving in the car, though riding is harder and slower; still, I think I could manage it in a longish day. We'll see.
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:53 am

How many miles are you guys interested in doing in a day and on what kind of roads?
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 am

I have to say I am really not interested in messing with PIR. It's not that great of a track, and it would be more of a PITA than it's worth, IMO. I would just rather have a good street ride.
Varment

Postby Varment » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 am

xxXJasonXxx wrote:How many miles are you guys interested in doing in a day and on what kind of roads?

250-300 miles at least with some stops along the way for sights, food, some scenic routes... I do want to see that fresh paved road you were talking about, i think some scenic twisty roads would be best...

xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Here is an idea of what I would like to ride on the leg closest to me:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=N ... 36924fd5ba

Powers, stop E, is optional, but I really the ride out there. It would be a ride out and back, with brunch or lunch out there. From there we could head inland to Roseburg, I don't know where you guys want to head from there. I have ridden out to Diamond Lake and Crater Lake before, that's a decent ride. Not a lot else out there though. Or we could head back up north, probably better riding, but it's always cool to head east and see the high desert country, even though it's pretty flat.
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Here is another leg:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=R ... 471924&z=9

The last bit is part of the Aufderheide Memorial Parkway, I haven't ridden it but I guess its supposed to be pretty amazing. From there we could head east to Sisters via Hwy 242, or head back inland to Eugene/Springfield via 126. Just suggestions.

Edit: E to F is the Cottage Grove-Lorane Hwy. That's the freshly paved twisty road I was talking about. H to I is supposed to be really good as well. As you can see I am trying to avoid interstate and boring highways as much as possible.
Varment

Postby Varment » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:17 pm

I figure the starting point could be Portland with what would be a nice twisty ride over to Tillamook. Then down to Newport for clam chowder at Moes, Then we could spend the last leg of day one pulling into North Bend. I like the rest of the route and think we should add hwy 242 in there From there we could go up and back west on hwy 20 to salem area and silver falls...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=B ... 601562&z=7

xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Okay, sounds like a decent scenic first day. I am thinking this for day two:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=N ... 471924&z=9
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:00 pm

xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:39 pm

Varment

Postby Varment » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:06 am

I'm liking day two and this!!! The ride from oakridge to Rainbow on the map looks like tons of fun...

Varment

Postby Varment » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:44 am

just did some looking, the approximate half way point would be Portland area, with about 14 hours ride from the furthest points.

TCRIDER

Postby TCRIDER » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:03 am

So I think Im going to ride up from Cali. A family friend drives down from Seattle and it takes him a day in his cage non stop. So I'll probably do a 2 day drive up.
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Where about do you think you want to meet the group? North Bend along 101?

EDIT: I was referring to TCRIDER.
trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:30 am

I would like to ride hwy 53. It is off of hwy 26 about 15 miles before you get to the 101. It is about 15 miles long and has about (if my memory serves me right) 40 curves. I tried to include a map in my post, but I clearly don't know what i'm doing. Check it out and tell me what you guys think. I rode it last year and it was a blast.
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
TCRIDER

Postby TCRIDER » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:13 am

xxXJasonXxx wrote:Where about do you think you want to meet the group? North Bend along 101?

Sounds good to me. So what's happening with the lodging arrangements?
Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:18 am

trukdryverchuck wrote:I would like to ride hwy 53. It is off of hwy 26 about 15 miles before you get to the 101. It is about 15 miles long and has about (if my memory serves me right) 40 curves. I tried to include a map in my post, but I clearly don't know what i'm doing. Check it out and tell me what you guys think. I rode it last year and it was a blast.

All depends, either 53 or hwy 6, HWY 6 is pretty damn curvy itself. I used to drive that road quite a bit.

Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:26 am

TCRIDER wrote:
xxXJasonXxx wrote:Where about do you think you want to meet the group? North Bend along 101?

Sounds good to me. So what's happening with the lodging arrangements?

Once I get an idea of who is going to be where and when, I can start setting up hotels. $70 a night or $35 a piece if you share a room... unless i can get a better deal...

Thursday night- July 30th.... Portland,

July 31st Day 1 to CoosBay/North Bend 269 miles 5 hours 37 mins

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=B ... 460938&z=9

Friday Night July 31st, Best Western Coos Bay

August 1st, Day 2 to Springfield, 237 miles, 6 hours 47mins

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=N ... 921875&z=8

Saterday night in Springfield

Aust 2nd, Day 3 still up for approval, 240 miles 7 hours 09 mins Round Trip

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=S ... 460938&z=9

Sound ok with everyone?

your arrangements getting to Oregon and back I can't do anything about...

xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:13 pm

We can probably get a deal on a hotel in Coos Bay for fairly cheap, depending on where you want to stay. There are a couple of decent choices that aren't too expensive.

If we do a Friday, Saturday, Sunday ride I will probably have to take Monday off for work to get home. I should be able to get it off, if not I may have to cut day 3 short. Maybe TC, Varment, and I could head back down on Monday, or Sunday if time allows. If we get an early start on day 2 and 3 we should be able to fit everything in.
Varment

Postby Varment » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 am

sounds like a plan, i like the best western in Coos Bay since it has ground floor rooms and parking right out the door...

Varment

Postby Varment » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Well It looks like I am going to have to back out of the group ride this year. I have three weeks before I am officially stop lossed and headed to Iraq in March. I was trying to get into the officer program but it looks like the bottom just fell out of that. I'll check back whenever I get a chance, and be looking for a ride in 2010. there is still a very small chance I may not go, but it is so small that its not really even worth thinking about. As for my 650, I'll store it and get it back on the road when I get home, may just replace tires, battery, and go... or may trade up but I doubt it....

trukdryverchuck

Postby trukdryverchuck » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 am

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. Keep us informed.

Chuck
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
xxXJasonXxx

Postby xxXJasonXxx » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:57 am

That sucks man, if you want we should go for a ride sometime before you head out. Hopefully there will be some good weather here shortly!

Return to “Group Rides”