Ride around Lake Superior?

Post here if you want to get one organized or are looking for one

Moderators: BRP, 650R_Rider

Fisher.

Ride around Lake Superior?

Postby Fisher. » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Hey everyone! :wave:

I've been playing around with a few trip ideas lately, and I thought a quick drive around the northern side of Lake Superior would be an interesting ride. Anyone want to come along? I'v got it mapped out from Madison, but we could meet up in either Minnesota or the U.P. depending on which direction we go. Not sure if html is working, but (hopefully) here's a map:

[nevermind]

If not, then here is a map.

It breaks up into a decent 3 day trip, about 8 hours of riding per day. Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie are each about 8 from Madison and about 8 apart, so hotels should be available.

One of my buddies should be be tagging along as well. He'll be on a CBR, so you have to promise to not make fun of him... TOO much :lol: Let me know what you think!

Fisher.
steigs84

Re: Ride around Lake Superior?

Postby steigs84 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 am

My brother, his G/F and myself did a trip up the eastern coast of Lake Michigan from Chicago, through the UP, along Lake Superior to Washburn, WI and then back to Chicago. Took 5 days. It is a great trip. But I do suggest cutting down your saddle time. There are so many pictures to take and places to visit. I'd go, but I think I'll be doing the trans american trail this summer. Have a pasty in the UP for me!

Edit: I forgot, add the Apostle Islands north of Washburn, WI to your trip, I hear it worth it. We didn't find out about it until we were back in Chi-town.
Fisher.

Postby Fisher. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for the info!

I haven't had a chance to take 'er on the highway for more than an hour or so (between Madison and Rockford, mostly) so I don't really know how my rear end will fare on a longer trip. Definitely planning on a new seat, though.

I wouldn't have a problem streching out the trip a bit more, but this way it would be only a Friday or Monday you would need to take off work. I'm trying to fit a trip into 3 days more than I am trying to pick a destination. Maybe a better question would be:

Any suggestions for a good 3 day trip?
steigs84

Postby steigs84 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Your plans are a good 3 day trip, you can do it, but you'll be wanting to stop all the time. You could just treat it as a recon trip. My regret is not stopping in Marquette.
There are also two ferry's between WI and Michigan. You might want to take the ferry over to lower MI and then take your time coming back through the UP. Again, you can do your original trip with no problem in 3 days, I'm just letting you know, there is a lot awesome stuff up there.
Lower Michigan has an awesome road called MI-119, AKA tunnel of trees. And rt 2 across UP was awesome as well. I'm pm'ing you my facebook, it has pics of my MI, UP, WI, IL trip you can check out.

Return to “Group Rides”