Central Valley, California 650 owners?

Think you might have seen a Kawasaki 650 ?
Post details here

Moderator: BRP

Nostrodomas

Central Valley, California 650 owners?

Postby Nostrodomas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:57 am

Any of you guys from the Central Valley? I have yet to see another 650 on the road yet. So just wondering if there actually were any out here.
ninja lee 323

Re: Central Valley, California 650 owners?

Postby ninja lee 323 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 am

I thought about taking my bike up to where my sister lives. Mountain House.
you're welcomed down here in LA/OC. lots of 650R's here.
cfernandez

Postby cfernandez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Yeah, I am a new '09 650R owner, but in LA Co. Come on down where the weather is better:-)

But I am looking to get some hard cases for my bike so that I can do Sequoia NP and farther. May see you up there in the Central Valley some day. Look for the Kawi green bike with luggage!

Cy
Nostrodomas

Postby Nostrodomas » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Ride down in L.A. are you kidding me? I don't even feel safe driving in a cage down in L.A.....lol

So Lee where does your sister live?

CF, let me know if and when you plan on taking a trip in the Sequoias. I can set you up with a ride you will never forget. I know that area like the back of my hand. I have been going up there even since I was about 6 months old.... :grin:
ronpluth

Postby ronpluth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 am

In the northern parts here, in Davis. Just got my 650R before Thanksgiving, and wishing it was raining less (though my responsible side knows I should be grateful for it!).
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 pm

The Central Valley is big, real big. All the way from Redding to Bakersfield. I'm in Sacramento, ronpluth is in Davis. I'm thinking you are using "Central Valley" as commonly used from, say, Stockton south to Bakersfield, which is actually the San Jaoquin Valley. Are you in Fresno area? Anyway, on the regional list in "Group Rides" section, KDOG is in Lemoore.
Nostrodomas

Postby Nostrodomas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Honinjsuz wrote:The Central Valley is big, real big. All the way from Redding to Bakersfield. I'm in Sacramento, ronpluth is in Davis. I'm thinking you are using "Central Valley" as commonly used from, say, Stockton south to Bakersfield, which is actually the San Jaoquin Valley. Are you in Fresno area? Anyway, on the regional list in "Group Rides" section, KDOG is in Lemoore.

Yea, thats pretty much what I mean when saying Central Valley. I was born in Visalia, lived in Exter, then Visalia, then up to Fresno, then back to Exeter, but now we reside in Woodlake. I have spoken to KDOG on the BRP forums a few times I think.

Maybe one of these days we should all plan a group ride up into the Sequoia/ Kings Canyon National park. Possibly a weekend trip. They have great rustic cabins in Grants Grove, or if you are not into roughing it, they have a very nice lodge named the John Muir lodge in the same area.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Hoping someone nearer would speak up by now. Yes, "someday" sounds good. Those who have not had the great pleasure of the spectacular road down to Cedar Grove, especially should ride Kings/Sequoia. I get there at least once a year with my brother and some old friends. We have been going for 50 years. Last year, I rode in twice and got in a lot of hiking and swimming.
Varment

Postby Varment » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:22 am

Honinjsuz wrote:Hoping someone nearer would speak up by now. Yes, "someday" sounds good. Those who have not had the great pleasure of the spectacular road down to Cedar Grove, especially should ride Kings/Sequoia. I get there at least once a year with my brother and some old friends. We have been going for 50 years. Last year, I rode in twice and got in a lot of hiking and swimming.

50 years?? How the hell old are you??

And reps for being that old on a sport bike...
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

2005 Racing Yellow Triumph Daytona 650

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:38 pm

LOL! On a motorcycle, probably only 45 yrs, but I'm counting times when my parents and uncles took us kids in for camping, hiking, and swimming. I'm probably old enough to be your grampa. Gave up the SS bikes with the "committed" riding position awhile back. I regard the Ninj650 as a sit-up standard- one of the things I like about it. It's a great bike, therefore, for touring/sightseeing in a place as grand as Kings Canyon/Sequoia while getting 45-55 mpg.
Nostrodomas

Postby Nostrodomas » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Honinjsuz wrote:Hoping someone nearer would speak up by now. Yes, "someday" sounds good. Those who have not had the great pleasure of the spectacular road down to Cedar Grove, especially should ride Kings/Sequoia. I get there at least once a year with my brother and some old friends. We have been going for 50 years. Last year, I rode in twice and got in a lot of hiking and swimming.

I feel the exact same way. Its such an awesome site to see. Let alone ride.

Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Niiice pics! I think BRP would say they should go in the Pics section- and they would be seen by a lot more people. Maybe make 'em green with envy for what you have in your back yard.
BLUE BULLET

Postby BLUE BULLET » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:00 am

I dont think there are too many of us in Cali. I myself am from Oakdale (near Modesto) and in the few years Ive owned my 650 i can only recall once seeing another one..
07 Plasma Blue
V2 Sports Bars
Scorpion Slip on
R&G Sliders
Blue Puig Windscreen
Evo 725 Grips
Woodcraft Spools

Barnett Clutch Springs
A1C-Tim

Postby A1C-Tim » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:29 am

BLUE BULLET wrote:I dont think there are too many of us in Cali. I myself am from Oakdale (near Modesto) and in the few years Ive owned my 650 i can only recall once seeing another one..

I live in San Diego, CA and I since having my bike back in 2007 I've seen about 4 ninjas and that's about it the rest of the bikes are Honda's, Suzukis and so on.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:48 pm

Promted me to count on my fingers. I see 6-8 around the Sacto area regularly. I've talked to a couple of them. Another 6-7 on rides in the larger area around me- Chico to Nevada City, to Sonora, to Stocton, to Livermore, to Napa, to Davis, to Chico again. About the same as the number of SV650s I see. See hundreds of Yam, Suz, Honda, Kaw sport bikes, lots of BMW sport tourers and a million cruisers. A guy on the "other" forum organized a ride in the bay area that I went with. There were 8 of us and we claimed a record- that no one has disputed. That's how it is- we are a rare breed. And proud of it!
Skiee

Postby Skiee » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Honinjsuz wrote:Promted me to count on my fingers. I see 6-8 around the Sacto area regularly. I've talked to a couple of them. Another 6-7 on rides in the larger area around me- Chico to Nevada City, to Sonora, to Stocton, to Livermore, to Napa, to Davis, to Chico again. About the same as the number of SV650s I see. See hundreds of Yam, Suz, Honda, Kaw sport bikes, lots of BMW sport tourers and a million cruisers. A guy on the "other" forum organized a ride in the bay area that I went with. There were 8 of us and we claimed a record- that no one has disputed. That's how it is- we are a rare breed. And proud of it!
That's another reason I love the 650R!!!!
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Good weather these last few days, a black and a red on Hwy 49 between Placerville and Auburn. A blue in Rancho Cordova. Red in the Delta and downtown Sac. All over the Pres Day long weekend.
CookieMonster

Postby CookieMonster » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm

From Redding. Going back to school in Sacramento for the next couple years. Wouldn't mind meeting any of you as well as some tips on Sac area roads. HWY 49 and Mosquito Ridge Rd are the only ones I have on my "must ride" list near Sac.
Image Image
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:34 pm

CookieMonster- You may have discovered more by now, but a couple of suggestions: 160 and side roads in the Delta, esp. in winter when you cant get in the mountains much. I consider Berryessa/Napa Valley to be in Sac. area too- 129 and a bunch of little roads around the Lake, Silverado Trail, Wooden Valley Rd, Hwy 16 along Cach Creek, etc. Of course 49 in the foothills east of Sac. You can have the fun of discovery of a whole bunch of great rides on little roads branching off 49, but soon here, I think I'll make and post an outline of real nice roads east and west of 49. In a month so, the snow will melt and temps will rise enough to do 80 to Tahoe, around the Lake and back on 50. Or up 50 to 89, over to 88 and back down to Jackson. Or 88 to Monitor Pass, 89 over to 4 (stop in Markleeville) and back down to Angels Camp. Pool Station Rd between San Andreas and Copperopolis is a good one. From Cop. to Milton via Rock Crk. Rd, to Jenny Lind, to 26, to Valley Springs to Lake Pardee to Buena Vista and----- so many good rides. Wise Rd off 65 to Hidden Falls Park and on to Auburn, little roads to Newcastle, then--- gotta stop now.

Nostradamus- I certainly will be going in to Kings Canyon as soon as the snow melt allows (could be May, could be June. We usually stay at the funky K.C. Lodge if we are not in a big camp group with trailers and such. From reports of the snow pack, looks like the So. Fork will be ragin' high for a long time into begining of summer. I'd bet the Cave has water for awhile too. Doug
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 am

Nostradamus, Cookie Monster, Blue Bullet- you stiil out there? Still on 650? Good weather, good ridin' coming up!
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Who might that have been on a silver, prob. 06 in the Delta about 4pm Thurs. 14th?? JR?
CookieMonster

Postby CookieMonster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:48 am

Here. In Sac weekdays. Would like a twisty buddy. Available before 4 pm when class starts.
Image Image
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:17 pm

CookM, I'll pm my phone.
REVN650

Postby REVN650 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:19 pm

It's a little late in the season but I'm here in Modesto. I'd like to meet up with some other 650 riders sometime. I've been riding with with 600rr's and liter bikes this year and it would be nice to ride with some other 650's. Maybe next season we can arrange a ride.
Blacked Out 2011 650R, Leo Vince Underbody Slip-On, Arrow Headers, BMC Filter, PCV, Suburban Machinery Bars, Woodcraft Sliders, Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator, Ermax Seat Cowl...
CookieMonster

Postby CookieMonster » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:08 pm

CookieMonster wrote:Here. In Sac weekdays. Would like a twisty buddy. Available before 4 pm when class starts.

Sorry. Bike and me got totalled. Two wheel life is done for me. :(
Image Image
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Whoa! Whahappen?? I been meaning to get together for a "test" ride. But, Aging parents medical, appointments, and jury duty (!) took the time away. Are you in a hospital? Are you able/have time to tell us what happened, that we may send you prayers and learn from your accident? Doug
CookieMonster

Postby CookieMonster » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Salmon Falls Rd on the 29th. 2 years out of the seat, and the trained reactions had eroded to the point that the natural (and usually wrong) reactions won, and caused me to lose, ie wrench brakes in panic vs throttle on and lean further facing a road hazard. No part out on this one. Just gonna sign pink over to tow company to pay the bill. I left hospital a week ago with 3 broken vertebrae, 13 ribs, sternum, collarbone, foot, punctured lungs and fused T3-T9. Spinal cord appears intact, and should make a very good recovery, but my family means too much to me to get back on that horse.
Image Image
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:29 am

Ouch!! My God it was a bad one.Thank God you survived and your prognosis for recovery is good. I know S.F. road well, but have avoided it for years now. I have seen sabotage against riders by folks (prob. residents) who hate riders speeding on that road. 3 riders I know have gone down- one from a wind gust (you may know the spot), one from oil poured in the road (in that 1st gear turn), one from car coming in his lane. I hate it, really, and this cinches it. And I guess you dont think it was the bike. Would you say you were too fast for the conditions, if you dont mind me asking. Both my near misses on that road, I was in too hot, and only luck saved me. Finally, I understand how you feel, but after my one really bad crash (took a year to relearn how to walk), I had to get back on. I love it too much, but the situations/places I'll go fast are few, while the situations/places where I'm in slow and cautious are many. Godspeed your recovery. Doug
CookieMonster

Postby CookieMonster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am

Honinjsuz wrote:Ouch!! My God it was a bad one.Thank God you survived and your prognosis for recovery is good. I know S.F. road well, but have avoided it for years now. I have seen sabotage against riders by folks (prob. residents) who hate riders speeding on that road. 3 riders I know have gone down- one from a wind gust (you may know the spot), one from oil poured in the road (in that 1st gear turn), one from car coming in his lane. I hate it, really, and this cinches it. And I guess you dont think it was the bike. Would you say you were too fast for the conditions, if you dont mind me asking. Both my near misses on that road, I was in too hot, and only luck saved me. Finally, I understand how you feel, but after my one really bad crash (took a year to relearn how to walk), I had to get back on. I love it too much, but the situations/places I'll go fast are few, while the situations/places where I'm in slow and cautious are many. Godspeed your recovery. Doug

I owe it to several things. One, and two was my confidence level. I had been out of the seat for 2 years, so I knew my trained reactions would be lacking a little, and natural (wrong) reactions would be heightened. 2nd part is that, after sitting for two years in my garage, I lacked confidence in the tire grip. Not sure if they had become more slick after sitting for 2 years, and were still only 3.5 years from manufacture date, but not being sure is a lot different from being at peace with it. 3rd, was road conditions. Many new patches on the road that are a full lane wide, and from 30-70 feet in length. Good seams and finish, but new and still a little greasy as temps rise (had very slight wheel slip - front and back on these patches). 4th, riding faster than I could see. A lesson I had already learned the hard way, and one I was sure I would never forget, and didn't. I wouldn't say I was too fast for the conditions (55-60 at that spot and better braking would have left me <55 through the corner which should have been possible). I just underestimated so many factors coming into play at once, and by the time I recognized the 1) turn, 2) crest, 3) new patch 4) lack of confidence in tires and 5) lack of confidence to lean more and throttle out regardless of outcome, I was already leaving the road with both wheels locked.

I would not be opposed to getting back on that horse (well, a different one, as my horse is DEAD) if it weren't for my family and KIDS. The hardest part of the whole ordeal was laying face down after the crash, knowing my back was broken and thinking about the inability to play with my 5 year old boy, and the possibility of losing the ability to breathe and ever seeing my boy, daughter and wife again. Just realizing how much was at such great risk, and how quickly the smallest mistake can turn into something so drastic as being a vegetable, I don't want to put my loved ones in this predicament again. Nothing agains bikes, and I will always cherish the time I spent riding and will never try to talk someone else out of riding (mainly because most don't push to the 80-90% I often did). I would just advocate 75% or less on street thanks to unpredictable variables, and if you want to go harder, save, plan and prepare for track days. Wish I would have, and had been able to explore the last 10% a LOT more frequently.
Image Image
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 pm

I understand your decision, and certainly do not criticize it. My kids are long grown and gone and I have nearly 50 years of riding, and want to have maybe 10 more. So my decision factors were quite different. I will say (like any old fart would say) that I do not have "a need for speed" like when I was younger, say into my 40s. The perspective provided by observation over time allows me to enjoy a 60% pace as well as a 75%, and no desire for 90% or more at all. That, and the ol' reaction times slowing down. Did you know the CHP motor classes from the Academy nearby (W.Sac) use the road for group riding exercises after they graduate from the training ground? I am curious as to where on S.F. Road you went down. N. of the A.R. bridge towards Pilot Hill? Or S. of bridge toward Green Valley Rd? If you have time and care to, let me know. I lead a group with 3-4 newbies every month and have not taken them there- yet. Recover well, Doug

Return to “Sightings”