VA state inspection / PUIG windscreen

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

KAB

VA state inspection / PUIG windscreen

Postby KAB » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:54 am

Just curious if anyone else has had an issue getting their state inspection done with a PUIG windscreen. I had my bike inspected on Friday and the tech told me it would not pass because of the non-DOT windscreen that was installed. I was a bit surprised since he didn't care about the "race only" Scorpion slip-on. This is the same place that has inspected my bike every year since I have owned it. All years except the first state inspection had the PUIG windscreen and they never mentioned it once.

Finally got a sticker on it, but wondering if anyone else has had any off the wall issues.
2007 Blue Ninja 650R
PUIG Windscreen
Scorpion Exhaust
Hella Lighting
Reflective Blue rimstrips
Baxter

Re: VA state inspection / PUIG windscreen

Postby Baxter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Sorry, I've got nothing to help you since I live in one of the states where vehicle inspections are not required. :lol

I see that you live in Virginia. My wife and I were looking at Virginia for possible retirement (away from the snow and bitter cold) when we learned that there are "dry" counties in that state where liquor cannot be sold. This evil abomination took Virginia off of our list. Now you confirm that Virginia is not for freedom lovers because your vehicles must be submitted to the man for approval. Next thing you know, people will have to be searched or scanned whenever they fly around the country. What is this world comming to? ;-)
"It is our mind, and that alone, that chains us or sets us free." Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
KAB

Postby KAB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Baxter - not sure how I missed your response. Virginia is alright I guess. Heck guess I can still have my CCW and such unlike MD, NY, and others. Honestly didn't know that there were still dry counties and I have lived in VA since 98. Shows how much I care for the place. Sure would suck to end up in one of those.. I would be in trouble. Luckily having Mountaineer roots, I know how to Moonshine it ;-) . I wouldn't move here though. The rare occasions we do get snow people are freaking crazy. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the windscreen though. I was looking at the MRA VarioTouringScreen, but figure I'll run into the same issue.
2007 Blue Ninja 650R
PUIG Windscreen
Scorpion Exhaust
Hella Lighting
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Curious to know: Were they looking for some sticker or engraving/etching showing DOT approval? Or did they refer to some list they have from DOT? I think my Puig info had some references to Euro and DOT approval. I'm in CA and dont have to deal with inspects., but it's comin'. First for smog and noise, and then for every mod.
KAB

Postby KAB » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 am

They said that they were looking for DOT approval markings on the windscreen. Of which I don't see any. I don't have any of the original paperwork to prove otherwise. I honestly can't remember what came with it. It's been many moons ago since I got it. I still have the factory one if they get in a mood over it the next time. I got the bike new in May 2007, and have had it inspected at the same place since I owned it. I had the PUIG on it for it's next inspection and they didn't say anything until 2011. Who knows with them.
2007 Blue Ninja 650R
PUIG Windscreen
Scorpion Exhaust
Hella Lighting
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Who knows indeed. Different inspector, or same inspector different day- sheesh! Reminds me of the recent story of the little girl told by the govt. lunch inspector that her mommy packed a bad lunch and fed the child chicken nuggets- and later the lunch inspector supervisor type said mommy actually packed a good lunch, an "approved" lunch. They pay these people a govt. approved salary too. And we're told we need more govt. in our lives to save us from ourselves, or save the planet, or some damn thing.

Return to “Tech”