Versys/Ninja Top End

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

Retro Rocketeer

Versys/Ninja Top End

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Just bought a 2008 Versys. Part number research shows me pistons and valves are the same. Obviously the cams are different, as I run a Versys cam setup in my Ninja. (Shout out to BRP. Credit where its due.) The heads are different. I've read the Versys head is lower compression. Confirmed Comp Ratio in specs. I haven't found much current info in Google searches about Versys riders swapping heads or milling heads.

I have a spare unmolested Ninja head. Should I bolt it onto the Versys and run two intake cams or one Versys Intake and one Ninja Exhaust? With all parts being the same, I'd think it would be like bolting in a slightly milder version of my Ninja racer.

Confirmation?

Anyone know of a really good Versys web forum on par with this Ninja forum?
Retro Rocketeer

Re: Versys/Ninja Top End

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Finally got my Versys on the dyno for a base run. I'm the second owner of a 2008. Previous owner installed a LeoVinci muffler, but nothing else. I removed those gawd aweful secondary butterfly valves and made sure the airfilter wasn't overoiled. Stock plugs and 6000 miles with no valve adjustments yet. I installed a Power Commander V. Nothing else done.

Base runs I was able to get solid 61s and one 62 (ok 61.96). Not bad. The magazines average 57s on stock Versys'. I threw three maps at it. Zero, Stock muffer & Stock A/F, and Two Brothers Muffler. The Stock map by Dynojet was not good. Lumpy in the power curves and the Air/Fuel curves. Zero map did really well. TwoBros map smoothed the curves just a little. I dinked with a couple zone changes before I ran out of time. I might revisit the dyno later and do some cell tuning under load to maybe smooth out that torque curve some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tech”