coolant leak

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

13moons

coolant leak

Postby 13moons » Sat May 05, 2012 9:58 am

Hey gang, I have done alot of research and theres a ton of info, even a youtube video of exactly whats happening with my 2009 er6n. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7pL-oBtExA&noredirect=1
The coolant comes out of the low overflow tube on the throttle side at a steady slow drip while the engine is running.
It was stored all winter in the shed and it does get bitterly cold here in Onario. Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome.
tp555

Re: coolant leak

Postby tp555 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:14 am

There is no coolant level light. That the level is between the marks is good. As long as it stays there your good.Do a short ride and check the level. If it changes bad. Slight expansion from heat is ok.After a complete cool down is the level the same as before. Same is good . A lot less is bad.
13moons

Postby 13moons » Sun May 06, 2012 9:50 am

It appears to have stopped dripping. There is the occasional spit bubble at the very small slot on the bottom of the water pump housing. The cold coolant level is mid way between the H and L line. After a few minutes idle, until the fan kicks on, the level moves up tp the H line returning to the mid way point after the engine is cold.

I also noticed a dime sized slight discoloration in the oil level window. I changed the oil a few weeks ago and dont remember seeing it there.
13moons

Postby 13moons » Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 am

Did some casual sunday morning reading and saw that the condensation in the sight glass is common and as long as there are no other symptoms to go with it there should be no need to worry. I will be watching very closely for the next couple of weeks.
tp555

Postby tp555 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 am

There should be no spit bubble or wetness anywhere period. Watch the oil level closely.Its warm no reason for condensation in the oil at this time unless a seal has failed. I got 40k miles and never had a coolant issue. Had the fan burn out, fuel pump weaken and alternator die but no coolant leaks.

Return to “Tech”