Valve job

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

truedef

Valve job

Postby truedef » Wed May 30, 2012 5:48 pm

I would like to check my valves myself, as I like to work on my bike myself. I've rebuilt everything on this bike, including the forks so I would think I can tackle the valves myself. I just need a some advice from some enthusiasts.
matthasthorns

Re: Valve job

Postby matthasthorns » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Dont drop the little barrels that align the cam retainers. they like to fall down the cam chain and end up in your engine.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Watch a half dozen YouTube videos on checking valve clearance and reshimming valves. Watch them for KLR's, CRFs, CBRs. After watching those, tackling the 650R should have no surprises. Seriously, do it.

Remember. Most of the time its quicker and easier to take things off than to try working around them. Tank, Airbox, Throttlebodies, Radiator.

I know its all relative, but the 650 is one of the easiest bikes out there to work on. I can do a head swap on it faster than most people can reshim the valves on an R6.
backSLIDER

Postby backSLIDER » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:01 am

That's because getting the valve cover out of the bike on an R6 is a pain. Just remember to sync your thottle bodys after. (should really only need it if you adjust valves but it's agood time to do it anyway)

Return to “Tech”