Cam chain tensioner

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

ElliotReidMD

Cam chain tensioner

Postby ElliotReidMD » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 am

Hello all, Pete from the UK here. Nice to meet everyone and hopefully someone can answer this question for me.

I have an 07 ER-6f (650R to our American cousins) and recently a little rattling noise has started when in a certain rev range. After some research I am thinking the cam chain tensioner has travelled as far as it can.

I have a Haynes manual (do you have them in the States?) and to change the tensioner I must remove the tank, air filter box, throttle bodies and the valve cover then get to TDC etc before it gets to removing the tensioner. Now the Kawasaki service manual says none of this but just says remove the tensioner and replace.

My question, though obvious, is if the Kawasaki service manual doesn't ask you to remove all that why would my Haynes manual? Has anyone replace the tensioner and if so which method did you use?

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give my and ride safe.

Pete
tp555

Re: Cam chain tensioner

Postby tp555 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:24 am

The tensioner is right next to the frame bar on the right side.You can remove it easily without the topside work. Why do you think thats the problem? Its not a common fault on this engine.

Return to “Tech”