Sold my 650R to my nephew... progressive spring?

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

Bryk

Sold my 650R to my nephew... progressive spring?

Postby Bryk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 am

My nephew is a heavier guy, 300+lbs. Is there an available spring/suspension setup on the market that could handle him and perhaps a passenger?

He is asking me since he has not been able to find one yet.

Thank you!
barbos

Re: Sold my 650R to my nephew... progressive spring?

Postby barbos » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Kawi doesn't recommend more than 180kg/397lbs of weight not including the vehicle (rider/passenger/luggage/gear/etc).

My understanding is the stock spring is progressive.

Could get a spring to help with that, but stock tire ratings are pretty much the same. I would assume the rear subframe is not built to handle much more than that.
Honinjsuz

Re: Sold my 650R to my nephew... progressive spring?

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes, heavier springs are available. Much discussion on this forum over time. Progressive (the Corp.) and RaceTech for forks come to mind. And the rear shock makers offer spring options. Keep in mind shocks are usually very expensive. Tire pressures have to be monitored closely- it's critical. I'm recalling that Conti, Metzler, and I think Michelin have some tire options rated at higher loads. My experience has been the best results finding out about these things have been when I got on the phone- not on the net. Or at the counter of a knowledgeable dealer/parts/tire seller (in my area). Having said all this, I think you should tell your nephew: to lose weight, to ride very conservatively, to NOT carry a passenger, and even with that, examine shock mounting points, subframe/frame, seat, etc. for cracks on a weekly basis. Dont mean to sound harsh. My wife and I with a little bit if luggage add up to 400 lbs. and I take her on my other bike- NOT on my Ninja. It aint a good idea. The frank truth is acceleration, stopping, and nimbleness are adversly affected by weight, so he wont think it's as good a bike as it is.

Return to “Tech”