another exhaust thread

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

riversbikes

another exhaust thread

Postby riversbikes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Two newish systems that I was wondering if anyone had any information on...
FMF:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not 100% sure if this picture is an accurate representation of an ex650 system -- FMF doesn't have it on their site, and my worry is that it is a generic photo from ebay and the actual system is a more traditional design... like this older version:

Vance and Hines has a system that looks to be a bit arata-like, in that it has additional length and a chamber to fool the engine into thinking the exhaust pipe is longer. I wonder about the weight and the hp figures, if there is any improvement -- you would also have to come up with some sort of mounting system with aftermarket rearsets...

Can anyone offer any information or insight?
BRP

Re: another exhaust thread

Postby BRP » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.
FMF is not like the 1st picture.
I contacted them, and they assured me it was.
I ordered 2. Received them, and they were of course not.
I fought with them to have them refund my shipping, and sent them back.
I informed them that if they should actually make them that way, I could sell many.
I looked on V&H website, there is no product made for the 650.
riversbikes

Postby riversbikes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah, I lucked out, called FMF ahead of time, and they told me the truth, that the first photo is a stock photo that is NOT representative of what they actually sell. I told them the same thing -- if they actually built a slip on/system that looked like the photo, I think they would sell a pile as well. For what its worth, I sold my 636 (tired of paying big bucks to insure a streetbike), and used the cash to order the high $$$ arata "replacement", the arrow minitwin evo exhaust. Had to get it from the UK, but I will post some information when it arrives re weight and fitment. I have no idea about where to go with "jetting", but it will need to go back on the dyno to get the gains that they claim. This was the system built for Ryan Farquar for the Isle of Man TT and the supertwins class. None were sent to the USA (according to the North American Arrow reps), and only a limited run in England. Rare as rocking horse poo... I also just fitted my ported throttle bodies, so aside from a handheld lamda sensor, I'm shooting in the dark... and the nearest dyno is 3.5 hrs away!!!

I did see the V&H system installed on a 2012 ex650, but one in malaysia... looks OK but might be a tad heavy!

BTW, Gary, I've used my last brp decal on my repainted bike after my last crash... and Cynthia Karpan is hanging up her leathers! In the course of 1 season I'm the last 650 racer/BRP customer left at my local track!!! :thumbdown:

Stuck with racing against two tz250s and a Ducati 900 for wins -- keeping ahead of all the svs still. We might have to "talk" about some headwork to get a few more ponies out of the engine!
Zandit

Postby Zandit » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:09 am

Gary, the CS One Tapered in Black is the model you need to be looking at - http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/sport/kawasaki/43515

I was looking at this a while ago, but couldn't justify the cost.

Return to “Tech”