Bike is running hot.

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

Milimande

Bike is running hot.

Postby Milimande » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 pm

So this season i noticed my bike seems to run hot and the fan is constantly kicking on especially on the hotter days. Today I actually got a coolant warning light though, which i shut the bike off to cool down. The bike seemed to already be running hot before I did this but I recently flushed the coolant out and put that blue stuff in. Didnt seem to change anything. Do you guys have any suggestions.
vircotto

Re: Bike is running hot.

Postby vircotto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:59 am

What is the temp you are riding in?

Is this in city traffic at stop light?

My coolant light turns on when sitting in traffic on 90ish degree days.

The 650R doesn't cool as well as my other bikes, your problem might be normal.
cbdallas

Re: Bike is running hot.

Postby cbdallas » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I rode mine in traffic on many 105 degree days and never got the light. If you've already flushed your system, try changing the thermostat (may not be opening fully), and blast the radiator clean at your local coin-op car wash. Make sure your coolant dilution is 50% or more water. Coolant doesn't transfer heat as efficiently as water, so the more watered-down, the better. Make sure it's filled all the way to the top of the radiator with no air trapped at the top. Make sure the overflow is filled to the FULL line as well.

If none of this makes a difference, your next culprits will be the temp sending unit, and the water pump impeller.

Return to “Tech”