Battery Question

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

CrazyBaldhead

Battery Question

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

The battery in my 07 Ninja is five years old now and I know that five years is the typical life of a car battery so I was going to change it until I read the owner's manual. It states that the battery "should not be replaced with a standard battery." I don't have any knowledge about batteries whatsoever except for how to change them. If the batteries in our bikes are not standard then what are they and where can I get one?

Also, there is a fair amount of corrosion on the positive terminal of the battery which I was going to clean off until I stripped the screw head by using a screw driver that was too small -- I know, I'm an idiot. I'm guessing drilling into the screw just enough for the bit to grab and then backing it out would be okay? Is the corrosion normal or an indicator that the battery is near the end of its life?

Thanks in advance, fellas.
Honinjsuz

Re: Battery Question

Postby Honinjsuz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Replace it. Check at your dealer, or cycle parts dealer. In my area, there is a co. called Battery Bill, with a huge warehouse and great prices, compared to dealer. Saved $90 on a battery for my (now sold) Beemer.
simsim

Postby simsim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 am

The last battery I bought, for a Suzuki Bandit, was a MOTOBATT battery ... delivered home its price was still comparable or lower than OEM supplier from dealer.
Not sure, but one possibility is that the 'standard' refers to open cell batteries, and Kawi wants us to use only sealed cell types?
Otherwise dealer, independent shops, chains like Cycle Gear, Walmart.

Stipped head ... aren't those 'screws' 10mm heads? If so, use a socket.

Corrosion isn't necessary a symptom of pending failure, but it's not something you want. Yes on cleaning, do a quick search if you're not sure what agents to use (baking soda comes to mind, for some reason; but double-check please).

I'm cheap ... if it's still fully functional and doesn't leak (verify after cleaning; see if the corrosion/build-up begins again immediately) I wouldn't change it ... but I also rely on my bike for daily transportation; so if I suspected imminent failure I would buy one and keep it handy.

Don't forget to charge whatever battery you buy slowly, not with a quick charge - unless specifically required by the manufacturer. Call it extra caution and cynicism on my part, but I'm convinced a couple of the batteries that failed prematurely on me did so because of a quick initial charge by the store that sold it to me...

sim - ER6N
2009 ER6N - w.i.p.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I say, after many years of battery replacements, if it's 5 yrs old and has corrosion, (corrosion occurs more in a weakened battery) replace it. It will save you time for sure, save you from being late to work or stranded, and probably save money.
electjohn

Postby electjohn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:53 am

Corrosion use a wire brush cleaned min and got a few more weeks before it died. as long as the battery will fit in the space for it, it will work
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:07 pm

simsim wrote:Stripped head ... aren't those 'screws' 10mm heads? If so, use a socket.

You're right. They are. Like I said, I'm an idiot.

Got a new battery but the cables can't be attached so that they sit flush against the terminals. The girl at the auto parts store ran a search in her computer and she said it'd fit, which it does, but the terminals are wider than the ones on the old battery so the little metal 'clips' at the end of the cables don't fit around the new terminals. They are contacting the terminals just not sitting flush against them. I tightened down the bolts and started the bike and everything works fine. Is having a gap between the cables and the terminals a bad thing or can I run it like that?
simsim

Postby simsim » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:48 pm

You're right. They are. Like I said, I'm an idiot.

We all are at times ;-) Important thing is finding the solution... that's one of the reasons I post...
As long as they're making contact, electricity is going through - then, just those ridged edges making contact ... I'd prefer a larger area.
Is there enough play in the cables to flip the 'clips' around? Would that give a contact area w/ larger surface?
Otherwise, I'm trying to think of something that could be used as a 'cushion', essentially to fill the space between the bottom of the clip and the terminal ... something that conducts electricity, obviously ... changing terminals just sounds like too much trouble to me.
In the meantime, I'd be riding it.
2009 ER6N - w.i.p.
CrazyBaldhead

Postby CrazyBaldhead » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, there is not enough play in the cables to get them turned. Even if there was I doubt I'd be able to get much more contact.

I started the bike with the seat off and didn't see any arcing or anything in the gaps between the cables and the terminals so I guess it should be fine.

Thanks for the info. It's appreciated.

Return to “Tech”