need help, installed new brakes

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

truedef

need help, installed new brakes

Postby truedef » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:16 am

I just installed new stainless steel lines, and new ebc HH pads. I have bleed the entire system using DOT4 and there is ZERO air in the system. I have taken apart both calipers and fully cleaned them and rebuilt them. I am currently in my bed in process and my left rotor seems cold on a quick test drive while the right rotor seems extremely hot. This doesnt seem right. I went for a shortly longer ride and got both to heat up but the right rotor is still much hotter
im running parallel lines from the master cylinder to the calipers.

I am at a confused loss, do I need to just get through the bed in period?
biketechted

Re: need help, installed new brakes

Postby biketechted » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Are you gravity bleeding or using a vac?
truedef

Postby truedef » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 am

Was using injection method and vacuum methods. I am most certain there is no air in the system.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:37 pm

First guess is the hot side is dragging a pad or pads. You may not notice it when you are just spinning the wheel or rolling the bike when you work on it. But on the first squeeze and/or riding speed, it quickly heats up.
truedef

Postby truedef » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Honinjsuz wrote:First guess is the hot side is dragging a pad or pads. You may not notice it when you are just spinning the wheel or rolling the bike when you work on it. But on the first squeeze and/or riding speed, it quickly heats up.

And i forgot to include everything ive already done;

1. I have installed parallel stainless steel brake lines
2. I have installed new EBC HH pads
3. I have Bled all air out, all I receive on either end is liquids.
4. I have fully disassembled my calipers and cleaned the boars and pistons. They are like new!

Every time i bleed the brakes or do any work, i have it on front (triple tree stand) and rear stands.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 pm

It's only on one side, so it's not the return hole in the master cyl. Got to be then, that the pads are too thick or improperly installed, or a valve (or something acting as a valve) is keeping fluid from coming back to the mast.cyl. and pressure builds on that side. Just thinking out loud.
truedef

Postby truedef » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 pm

curious if it has something to do with the fact that the left line is much longer then the right, so pressure builds up in the banjo bolt at the master cylinder first, which puts pressure on the right line before the left line?
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:38 pm

It would have to be alot longer "pressure is distributed equally in a liquid". But, is there an "equalizer" valve or some such thing? I thought maybe Gary or Biketeched would jump in by now. But calling/e-mailing the manufacturers of the lines, pads, etc., would be in order now anyway. Or take it to a moto shop with a good rep and have them do it over. Then you get someone to complain to if it wont work properly.
truedef

Postby truedef » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:48 am

going to install this banjo bleeder screw hopefully it fits, i just got it in the mail and the threads look like they are the same as the one my master takes
biketechted

Postby biketechted » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:29 pm

I've got the same setup as you and have no problems and it sounds like you're doing everything right.

You should be bleeding the one with the longest (left) length first then move over to the shortest (right) next.
Also, physically change the position of the caliper while bleeding (unbolt it from the fork) to allow any air that may be trapped inside the crevices of the caliper to escape.
Tap it with a screwdriver handle or something to ensure bubbles have a chance to escape up the line to the reservoir (this is more common in completely empty systems than in systems receiving a re-bleed).

Place a piece of wood or plastic between the pads after you have pushed them completely into the caliper to help avoid them extending while bleeding. For example, a paint stirring stick or two from a hardware store works great.

Hopefully you weren't bleeding them while the wheel/rotor was installed? :fool

And if you have done ALL of this already, go with plan H and get someone else to do it so you can blame them. That's what mechanics are for anyway, right? :think:

Keep us posted.
truedef

Postby truedef » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Im going to call galfer tomorrow and see if theyll send me new lines for the front just for the hell of it.

Return to “Tech”