FMF SNAP

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

biketechted

FMF SNAP

Postby biketechted » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:48 am

FMF has come out with a product to slide into the air snorkels that help better guide the flow of air into the throttle bodies. (At least that's the claim).
Anyone have any "Educated" not "Speculated" thoughts?
I've totally removed my boots, so it's not a real concern for me. Just askin?

electjohn

Re: FMF SNAP

Postby electjohn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am

i would think that the holes would introduce unwanted turbulance into the air stream.
Warhound

Postby Warhound » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Just some basic thoughts...

1) you're adding 4x the area for stiction
2) decreasing the area to pull air in
3) the snorkels are long and straight so I don't see a big reason for the air to need extra guidance

Seems gimmicky to me... But I don't have any way of testing it.
Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Same concept as the "tornado" or "typhoon" in cars that is supposed to create spinning air to drive it into the cylinders... real world testing in 4wheel and off road magazine show unchanged if not decreased performance/mileage. Common sense should say that anything with a surface area and leading edge would only create drag on the air passing by....
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

2005 Racing Yellow Triumph Daytona 650

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Ok, it's speculation, sorry. In liquid flow thru hoses and nozzles, flow is smoothed (eg: less friction, less turbulence) by similar shaped (the cross) but shorter gizmos. It does work, I've tried it with the gizmos in and out. In the case of fire nozzles it reduces the roar, makes the stream stay tight further out, and in the case of hand held, makes it easier to hold. But the real question is; Does FMF offer studies/tests/experiments on their site or links?
tp555

Postby tp555 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 am

Flow thru nozzles and hoses, liquid or whatever is being pushed. Air intake is vacuum pulling inward. Anything in the way is resistance to flow. I wouldn't use it myself.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 am

By snorkels, I'm guessing you mean the velocity stacks on top of the throttle bodies.

These are nothing truly new. There are similar products for FCR type carbs, and they work. For single cylinder bikes they are an inexpensive upgrade. I have a similar plenum on my CRF250R. By itself, it made the throttle crisper. Combined with a complimentary intake port, the gains are even nicer. Smooth velocity is what is being created. High speed air through a small orifice is better than low speed air through a large orifice. By the addition of the plenums you are getting better velocity and less turbulence as the air has a specific place to go.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 am

Ok, I went to the web page and read their description. These don't go in airbox snorkels. On dirtbikes there is a long boot that connects the airbox to the carb or throttlebody. This intake boot is tapered to improve velocity, but its often not a perfect shape or shot to the mouth of the carb/throttlebody. This is a similar approach to the snap in plenum I mentioned in my first reply. Instead of being inserted into the carb or throttlebody, these go in the intake manifold between the airbox and carb/throttlebody.

FMF is no "fly-by-night" internet sham business. I'd bet they've put some testing into these. In fact, I can see how the holes would help reduce the air from slowing down on the surface of the plenums with a little tumble.

I wouldn't doubt the improved throttle response. At $99, that's twice what I paid for the carb insert I installed on my 2005 CRF. I wonder if they would work well together?
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Just info. But it does work on suction hose too, such as when drafting from a body of water.

Return to “Tech”