FI light on & Throttle bodies w/ standing fuel in them

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

Slippery750

FI light on & Throttle bodies w/ standing fuel in them

Postby Slippery750 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:58 am

Ok I got a few problems...During the restoration of my '08 650R I did the pair valve delete. I researched the mod thru several forums and ended up taking off the whole system and installing the block off plate. The first time I used a resistor in place of the valve to eliminate throwing a code which it did anyway while riding. So I came back home and tried what several forums recommended, just hooking the two wires together. This caused the bike to go into limp mode and when I pulled over it died after a few seconds. It turned over only two or three times then acted like the battery was dead with the solenoid clicking a couple times.

I towed the bike home and tore into it. I tried to read the code but it will not do anything but stay lit constantly, even when the ignition is off. I pulled the tank off and disconnected the pair valve mod and plugged the valve back in. I also took the air box off and discovered the throttle body on the #2 cylinder was completely full of standing fuel and the #1 throttle body was half full! I also checked all electrical, vacuume and hose connections but found nothing.

Do I have bad fuel injectors? ECU? sensor?

I am at a loss for what to do now...

Any help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'08 650R....Stripped to the frame for paint and powder coating.
Slippery750

Re: FI light on & Throttle bodies w/ standing fuel in them

Postby Slippery750 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Seriously, nobody?
tp555

Postby tp555 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 am

Gas is leaking into the intake. Maybe from above. Injectors squirt gas into the cylinders. How could it fill up the intake? I would check your oil level. If you have gas filling up the intake it will enter the cyclinder and go past the rings into the crankcase. Maybe leak at the injectors. Got a pic?
Slippery750

Postby Slippery750 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 am

The standing fuel was in the throttle bodies. I immediately siphoned it out and pulled the plugs, cycled the starter to flush any fuel out. Minimal came out of the cylinders as a vapor. Oil level is fine. My guess is faulty injector...When I get a chance I'm going to check all connections on the bike and go from there. Injector OHM value is in spec too...

I was in too much of a hurry and freaked out when I saw the fuel in the TBI's to take a pic...
Slippery750

Postby Slippery750 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Ok, I checked the bike over and figured out it only has two ground points on the bike. From the battery negative terminal two wires leave, one to the motor as a #6 maybe? The other is a 14 guage that goes back to the subframe next to the ECU. I took the ground off and removed all the powder coating and buffed the terminal.

Next I put the tank back on & hooked everything back up. Turn the key on and the #2 injector commences to filling the throttle body up! I swapped #1 & #2 injector wires and now #1 starts spraying like mad. At this point leads me to believe the wire is grounding out or its a constant ground from the ECU. (The ECU switches the ground on/off to fire the injectors) I then pulled the #2 injector wire out of the ECU plug and checked to make sure its not grounding. No problem there. Next I put my multimeter on voltage and a constant hot and found out the ECU is sending a constant ground to the #2 injector!

Next step, new ECU...
tp555

Postby tp555 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:04 am

Definite strange. Filling up the intake only if the valves are closed. Ecu getting funky is not common but shit happens. you did check the wire from ejector to ecu completely, then thats it.
Slippery750

Postby Slippery750 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 am

Yep. Pulled the wire out of the plug, made sure it was'nt grounding, (OHM wire and ground with no result) also checked the output from the ECU which was giving a constant ground unlike the #1 injector output. This all started when I did the damn pair valve delete. Next time I will use my better judgement and experience over what a few people on some random forums I Gooled say!

Return to “Tech”