Fork seal replacement

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

MTRider

Fork seal replacement

Postby MTRider » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi, I was just wondering how hard a do it yourself fork seal job is. I know I would have to create some sorta seal driver, but is there any other fork specific tools I would need to buy. My right seal is leaking badly and the shops around here want $250-$350 to do it. I would like to try to do it on a budget, I just don't want to create a huge headache trying to do it myself if it is a real pain.

Thanks, :???:
07 Ninja 650R
Zero Gravity Double Bubble Short
Suburban Machinery Bars
Custom fabed fender elim
Volar Motorsports integrated tail light
Custom Glasspack Exhaust
Retro Rocketeer

Re: Fork seal replacement

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Get a price for forks off the bike. That should save you an hour of labor. A pair of stock Ninja fork seals can be replace in under an hour by an experienced mechanic if you bring them to the shop off the bike. Some of that price you are being quoted must also include the parts. Maybe $30 for a pair of seals. $15 for fork oil. Unless you have a lot of hard braking miles on your bike, you likely don't need bushings yet, so there's $85 in savings. Again, if you have medium miles in a clean riding environment, you can likely save another $30 in dust wipers. We just cut the whole bill down by half. If they say you need new bushings and dust wipers, make sure you see the originals and have them compared to new.

If you want to do the job yourself,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30
Lots of good vids and google explainations.
Warhound

Postby Warhound » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm

For around $350 you can send your forks to a guy and have him put gsxr cartridges in. While he's in there he'll replace the seals and such.
BRP

Postby BRP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 am

Warhound wrote:For around $350 you can send your forks to a guy and have him put gsxr cartridges in. While he's in there he'll replace the seals and such.
Is he instaling rods and caps also ?
Warhound

Postby Warhound » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 am

Yes, external preload and rebound adjustments. Still have to disassemble for compression adjustment though.

http://www.RiderForums.com/ninja-650r-p ... -650r.html

He did mine.

I'm problomatic on there. I have my build thread on there and it has a few pics.
MTRider

Postby MTRider » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:29 pm

I could probably do the seals by myself if I could easily take the forks off. I haven't found an easy way to suspend the bike so that I can take the forks out.

I know I would need a seal driver, that I could prob fabricate out of pvc or something similar, is there any other specific tools required for a seal job?
07 Ninja 650R
Zero Gravity Double Bubble Short
Suburban Machinery Bars
Custom fabed fender elim
Volar Motorsports integrated tail light
Custom Glasspack Exhaust
biketechted

Postby biketechted » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Return to “Tech”