POSSIBLE FRONT END PROBLEM

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

steigs84

POSSIBLE FRONT END PROBLEM

Postby steigs84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:54 pm

My '06 seems to have developed a problem with the front end. When I go to turn, the bike tends to "fall into" the turn. I've had this feeling before when the front tire had a nail in it and only had 20 PSI. Tire wear and pressure is fine. It's possible could be me since I've been dual sport riding lately on a 2013 CRF250L. Maybe I've adjusted to the new bike too much. If any of you have had this problem, or ideas let me know. My gut says something is not right. I don't remember it doing this when I put the Race Tech valves and springs in.
biketechted

Re: POSSIBLE FRONT END PROBLEM

Postby biketechted » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:53 am

steigs84 wrote: It's possible could be me since I've been dual sport riding

BINGO :lol

or someone rode it w/o you knowing...
or gremlins are attacking it like in those Bugs Bunny cartoons...
or a loose flange on the Dooma Whatchi...
or, most likely, there's a loose nut on the seat... ;-)

Does it do it on different sections of road?
Check brake rotor drag. Check oil level and its condition in your fork.
Loosen up when leaning.
I have no idea, just tryng to be helpful :fro
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Roll on the throttle more before the apex.
Make sure you have correct sag front and back.
Check that your fork height in the clamps isn't too high.
steigs84

Postby steigs84 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Checked out all suggestions, I found the front wheel bearings very shot. I'll replace them and go from there. There was a change in front end sag also. New springs? Buy Gary's preload adjusters? or just reset sag? I'm the same weight when I set it two years ago.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Remember that adjustments to the shock preload will also affect the front preload. Can you adjust the adjust the shock preload and get close to the fork sag you used to have?

That said, stock springs on a budget bike are likely not of the same metal quality as higher dollar bike or aftermarket springs. Some spring sack is not uncommon. Aftermarket (like BRP) preload adjustable caps are handy. If you find you make frequent suspension adjustments for different loads and riding, adjustable load caps are a must. If you tend to leave things alone then you can experiment with some PVC and washers and even leave the forks in the clamps to adjust your front sag.
steigs84

Postby steigs84 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 am

Retro,
I appreciate the advice. I understand stock springs sagging after a while. But I did put in a Race Tech set, and they changed. I could not get the stock shock to effect the fronts sag. I find myself at the verge of ordering new race tech springs, adjusters & a quality shock, or get a new bike. I do like the F800GT. The Ninja has been the worst I've owned for reliability (38k). My '85 Sabre was flawless for 80k, The CB400 and TRX850 in Japan never gave me issues.
I'm putting in new front and rear wheel bearings and see what I decide to do, drop another grand or so on the Ninja or 13 k on the F800.
Honinjsuz

Postby Honinjsuz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Hmmm. Tho I only have around 23K on my 06 (it shares miles with my other bike), it has been flawless (fingers crossed). I'm looking forward to my 06 having the 80K+ that my 84 SabreV65 had.
steigs84

Postby steigs84 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Well I finally finished replacing the wheel bearings, problem gone.

Return to “Tech”