versys / er6 swap

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

netobiker

versys / er6 swap

Postby netobiker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi guys, i need some help with my versys 650 07. The cylinders, pistons and cylinder head are seriously damaged (piston hit the valves). The crankshaft and rods are OK.
Because it is hard to find versys parts (or complete engine, versys or er-6) where i live, i was wondering if i can put cylinders, pistons and cylinder head from er6 /n/f/ninja 650r (i understand the crank and rods are the same as versys). I understand the compression is different but i am not looking for performance, only to get it running reasonable. Would it run OK with the versys electronics and ECU ?
Thank you guys and i will appreciate your help.
biketechted

Re: versys / er6 swap

Postby biketechted » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:31 pm

netobiker

Postby netobiker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Israel. The shipping cost for a complete engine from the US or Europe, overseas to Israel, is as twice as the engine costs, if not more, plus i would have to pay high local taxes on an import engine..., so i prefer ordering the parts i need separately (cylinder head, cylinders and pistons) . it would be much cheaper.
The reason i am asking about versys/ninja 650R/ER-6 parts compatibility, is because there aren't versys engine parts to find in US neither Europe while ninja 650r/er-6 parts are common.
Looking at the fiche, same part numbers for crank, rods, pistons, pulsing rotor, pick up and other.. Different: cylinder, cylinder head (different compression), some sensors (air temp.sensor, vehicle down sensor..).
Some models have oxygen sensor, some don't. looking at 2007 model, There are 5 different main harness part numbers: 3 different harnesses for versys, 1 for er-6n and 1 for er-6f...
I understand some guys did camshafts wrap between versys and ninja650/er-6, i am not sure if an ECU change is needed (i am not looking for performance but only to make it run properly) and if it is needed, would a ninja650R/ER-6 ECU works on versys harness and electronic with no issues (after putting on it cylinder and cylinder head of ninja 650R/ER-6N/F).
BRP

Postby BRP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 am

Everything is the same, except for the head and cams.
Versys head is lower compression.

Return to “Tech”