I think I hurt my bike.

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

A-J

I think I hurt my bike.

Postby A-J » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

I recently did a valve clearance inspection. Fortunately, only one exhaust valve was out of spec. While I had the bike apart, I also did an oil change and cleaned the air filter, which was nasty as hell. I also pulled the CA emissions crap off there. So I get everything all put back together and everything seems fine. Sure, the bike sounded a tad different (slightly lower note in the exhaust) but overall she seemed to be running smoother. NOt unexpected, since she was breathing a lot better. Then the problems started.

First it began to stall. Five times over three days, all at no throttle, either when coasting through turning a corner or sitting at a light. I assumed it was something to do with the venting from the CA emissions removal, but that is all A-OK. Then I noticed that the bike no longer did the cold startup high rev thing anymore. After some research, I found a couple posts where someone adjusted the small screw on the mechanism that the throttle cables attach to and that fixed thier issue.

I looked that up in the manula, and all I could find was the manual saying that under no circumstances should you mess with or disassemble specific parts on the throttle body. One of them being that particular piece where the throttle cables hook up. Sadly, I had removed mine during the service to try and make it easier to remove the throttle cables. The manual says if you mess with any of the named parts, you can mess it up and may need new throttle bodies.

Adding to this, my MPG went from low 40s before service to 34 as of this morning. This is consistent after 3 fill ups. So I know that something is wrong, but I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. Anyone want to shed some light?

Edit to add I have an 07 with 19K miles on her.
Honinjsuz

Re: I think I hurt my bike.

Postby Honinjsuz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Wish I knew. Gary, or somebody on here must know. I do know that every time over the years, I messed with the CA emissions gear, on any brand/model, it would not run right, mpg decreased. I put every thing back- it ran fine. Only one case, where a dealer mechanic I knew did some off duty work for me in his own garage, did the bike run well without the CA equip. Ninjas in other states, other countries run well without the CA stuff, so there must be a way. I do suspect that EPA/CA force the makers to make it harder and harder to defeat the systems. And any dealer, manufacturer, even mechanic, who did change the equip., or told you how to do it, outside of "race only" applications could be threatened with arrest, big fines, license/certifications pulled, etc. No, seriously. That's CA today.
A-J

Re: I think I hurt my bike.

Postby A-J » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:56 pm

To close the topic out if anyone searches and finds this, the way I had originally done it was fine. Leave the rear most 2 nipples unplugged and route them to the ground. Put a short hose with a plug in it on the front most nipple . This one is the one that "returns" to the tank, and gas can and will leak out when the tank is full or close to it.

The problem was that I did not reinstall the CCT properly, so it was putting significant pressure on the cam chain, causing the engine to have to work extremely hard just to stay running. This caused an odd whirring noise, about a 10 MPG drop, and idle issues. Once I removed the CCT, reindexed it, and reinstalled it using the correct method, ALL of my problems went away. Lesson learned. Hopefully in the few hundred miles I rode like this I didn't cause significant harm to my cams/cam chain or head.

Return to “Tech”