corrosion on hose and housings for therm and wat pump

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

bikeboy

corrosion on hose and housings for therm and wat pump

Postby bikeboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm

07 ninja 650R
I've had a smell of antifreeze for several years, but could never see a leak. I've finally seen antifreeze@ the thermostat and water pump housings(weep hole area). Flushed system and removed all the O rings, Impeller, Thermostat, oil and water seals, of which I'll be replacing. The two housings are pitted where the hoses attach and may have been probably leaking. hoses look OK. Should the housings aluminum hose bibs be filed or sanded smooth before I reattach hoses. Is there any compound to put on those bibs to prevent oxidation/corrosion before I reattach hoses? See Attachment :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BRP

Re: corrosion on hose and housings for therm and wat pump

Postby BRP » Sat May 03, 2014 6:42 pm

I can't make out from that picture, but if those are where the water hoses connect, you can clean them with sandpaper or scotchbrite pad.
You can use either grease or anti seize to prevent corroding.
bikeboy

Postby bikeboy » Sat May 03, 2014 10:21 pm

BRP wrote:I can't make out from that picture, but if those are where the water hoses connect, you can clean them with sandpaper or scotchbrite pad.
You can use either grease or anti seize to prevent corroding.

Thanks for reply; I did file and sand the housing bibs, and look much better. Is ATV black any better to prevent corrosion and leaking?

Bikeboy...
BRP

Postby BRP » Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 am

If you're talking about silicon sealant, there is no need if you have the hoses on correctly.

Return to “Tech”