TPS and timing retardation

Here is the place to ask questions about working on your 650.

Moderator: BRP

TPS and timing retardation

Postby ejs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 pm

I have a 2013 ninja 650, with 26k mi so far, completely stock.

A friend recently bought an SV650 and was able to tune the low-throttle lurch out of his EFI by adjusting the TPS. The Kawasaki factory svc manual seems to indicate the TPS on this bike is nonadjustable, but I found on a Versys forum someone talking about doing it. Is the TPS on the (newer) ninja adjustable? Is the information on Versys forums like ... tment.html and ... sting.html applicable to the ninja as well? I would assume it's essentially the same.

Additionally, the Suzuki had a "feature" where the timing in gears 1-3 was retarded to meet emissions or noise standards. This feature can be bypassed with a simple timing retard eliminator kit, just a plug in resistor. Does the Kawasaki 650 have a similar problem, and if so, is that something which can be cancelled as well?

I think a PC-V likely solves both issues but if this can be accomplished without spending $500 I'd be in favor of it. There doesnt seem to be much of a community for the ninja 650 like many other bike have so it seems a lot more difficult to find info about some of the quick and easy tweaks you can do on other bikes like the SV, KLR, EX250, etc.

Re: TPS and timing retardation

Postby BRP » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 am

All 650 engines are the same.
Versys has lower compression and different cams.

Return to “Tech”