Slipon Install How To: Arrow In My Case.

Check here for detailed instructions on how to install products, or work on your 650

Moderator: BRP

Magnum

Slipon Install How To: Arrow In My Case.

Postby Magnum » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Wow is pretty much what I think, kick azz exhaust here. Enclosed will give you a glimpse of the install it was really pretty easy with minimal tools required. Here's what I used, YMMV:

- 3/8" Ratchet
- 12MM Socket
- 12MM Box Wrench
- 4, 5 and 6MM Hex Key or Socket [I prefer sockets]
- For the Arrow Exhaust install you'll also need a 13MM socket
- Rubber Mallet
- Snap Ring Tool or Needle Nose Pliers for DB Killer Removal

If you ever find the dreaded ''Red X'' please go here Magnum to be directed to my site.

Sweet box huh, lol….

Unpacked………Getting bored yet?

Pic of the can:

Ok, now let's get started. First I weighed it all, mounting bolts, washers, everything and it only weighs 5 lbs 5.8 ounces with the DB killer in. Pretty light!:

Now I'll take the DB Killer out. You can just use needle nose pliers if you don't have snap ring pliers:

Then I put the end of a broom stick in the other end of the can and pushed the DB Killer out, thanks Cloak!:

Now that the DB Killer is out I weighed it, not a significant difference in weight of the overall total shown above:

Now let's get the stock can off. First remove the three push clips located at the front and underside of the lower fairing. The arrow shows one and the circles show the approximate location of the other two:

Now remove these three 4MM hex head bolts:

Now the tricky part! Pull the bottom of the lower fairing out and then work it loose from this hook. Don't get crazy with it, take your time 'cause I doubt you want to break anything:

Ok, now move on to the other side and remove it. You might be able to get away with only removing the exhaust side, but I just remove both as they are easy enough to remove:

Ok, I looked under and even with the amount of tools I have I found that it was going to be a real PITA to get at the two bolts holding the stock exhaust on so I remove the rear-set and tied it up. If you remove this be careful with it as the rear brake line and such are attached. Remove these hex head bolts, the three listed as number one are 6MM and the one listed number 2 is 5MM:

Now remove the stock exhaust clamp, 12MM:

Now behind the rear set you can see the two bolts for the exhaust mount. These are also 12MM, but the one to the farthest left in the pic runs all the way over and has a nut that also needs to be held. See next pic:

Over here, sorry for the dark pic but you should be able to locate it, this nut is also 12MM. I used a box wrench to fish through and hold the nut while loosening the bolt:

Ok, it should be ready to come off. You can try and pull it off if you feel strong, but I just took a rubber mallet and lightly tapped the exhaust like so. I staggered the taps on each side of the clamp. Space is tight between the exhaust and wheel, but it will fit for removal:

Now it's time to put the new can on [Arrow Exhaust]. First I put the mounting clamp where the stock mounts are. Then I took to rubber mallet and lightly tapped the end of the can near the wheel to get it on. Then I put the clamp and barely tightened it, you want to have enough play to be able to twist the can for adjustment:

Here you can see the mounting bracket that came with the Arrow Exhaust. Now fit the mounting ring over the exhaust and thread the nut just a few turns:

Finally get the can twisted and tweaked the way you would like it to be. For me it was important to have it tucked up nice and tight. I accomplished that after a few cuss words.:

Now put the rear-set back on, verify the can is exactly where you want it and then tighten the clamp and finally the mounting ring:

Now take off the protective paper on the Arrow logo, start it up and just listen………………………………………………..Now check for any leaks and reassemble the lower fairings:

It sounds FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!:

………And looks GREAT!!!!:

Oh, what's the weight on the stock exhaust? Check it out:

****Here's a youtube vid of the sound!****

Disclaimer: This information is presented with no liability or guarantee expressed or implied, work at your own risk.
SB V2 / ProGrip Evo 725 / ZG DB Short Smoke
R&G Sliders / Woodcraft Spools / R&G TT
LED Rear Signals / DynoJet PCIII USB
DNA Air Filter / Arrow Exhaust / Kawi Cowl
Thormix

Re: Slipon Install How To: Arrow In My Case.

Postby Thormix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Never mind.

Great write-up Thx
MeanderingMan

Postby MeanderingMan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for posting this with all the pics. It makes the process very easy to understand! And also thanks for posting the video.
Whoismiked

Postby Whoismiked » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:00 pm

I miss Magnum :(

lol

No one writes up these awesome how to's over at the GSXR forum :(
Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:05 pm

I just installed my new exhaust with the assistance of this write-up! Talkin' 'bout easy! WOW!!! I was in and out in no time. The hardest part as usual, was re-aligning the lower fairings!
Varment

Postby Varment » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:06 pm

What did you end up going with?
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

2005 Racing Yellow Triumph Daytona 650

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Varment wrote:What did you end up going with?

I went with the same Arrow setup.
Varment

Postby Varment » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 pm

First time hearing that in person is like sex isn't it?? :drool thats what I went with as well...
Those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them!

Current mods: HID lights, alarm, on board battery charger, Logo etched shorty levers
Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Sure as hell was. I was in the garage with the door all the way down...it was beautiful!!!
Varment

Postby Varment » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm

I was under a car port and having just heard it stock, I got the last bolt tight and turned it over and not even my helmet could hide the smile on my face... I didn't even bother with the db killer...

Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:42 pm

I took the DB Killer out...OMG!!!
Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:13 am

I think I may put the DB Killer back in tomorrow to see how it sounds with it and then make my final decision to keep it in or not after that.
Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 am

Dirty Cash wrote:I think I may put the DB Killer back in tomorrow to see how it sounds with it and then make my final decision to keep it in or not after that.

It sounds way too good with it out, and the cages can't ever say they didn't hear you coming :lol

Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Varment wrote:
Dirty Cash wrote:I think I may put the DB Killer back in tomorrow to see how it sounds with it and then make my final decision to keep it in or not after that.

It sounds way too good with it out, and the cages can't ever say they didn't hear you coming :lol

Oh...I thoght you meant you took kept yours in and like the way it sounded.
tribulation138

Postby tribulation138 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm

jeez magnum... how do u keep your bike so clean... mine has all these paint scratches and dings from rocks and shit..
I have to many mods to post here.
Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Dirty Cash wrote:
Varment wrote:

Oh...I thoght you meant you took kept yours in and like the way it sounded.

I might like the sound with the db killer in just fine lol, but as soon as I pulled the pipe out of the box, I took the db killer out and it now has a fine layer of dust on my parts shelf... The shelf all my stock and extra parts go...

Dirty Cash

Postby Dirty Cash » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 pm

I thought I was one of the few who kept a hold of their stock parts!!! LOL!!!
Varment

Postby Varment » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 pm

nope, I keep them around just in case, if one of my mods gets damaged I can replace it with the stock part and not miss any time riding...

Polestar

Postby Polestar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:44 am

Great write-up! :thumbup: Big help! Question: How significantly does the DB Killer cut the sound and if left in, would it spoil HP gains? Even a guess on your part would help.
Hooah!
Razorbil

Postby Razorbil » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks for the great pics and instructions. I just put my Arrow on. One question, what is the liquid metal for?
Varment

Postby Varment » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:51 pm

pw sent, but it is probably there to lube the header so that the can slips on easier, I didn't get any with mine so I could be wrong....

2007 650R

Postby 2007 650R » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:08 am

Razorbil wrote:Thanks for the great pics and instructions. I just put my Arrow on. One question, what is the liquid metal for?

Varment wrote:First time hearing that in person is like sex isn't it?? :drool thats what I went with as well...

Varment said it. SEX. Your 650 likes the liquid metal lube for the muffler exit. Go ahead let her have it. LoL
I now ride a 2009 Monster Edition ZX6R.
paris400

Postby paris400 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 am

Thank you! I am so buying an Arrow and now feel confident enough to try this install myself, albeit with a friend to supervise.

I like the part about the cuss words - that always helps when installing something! :cool
paris400

Postby paris400 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:19 am

I did it. The Arrow is on and sounds so sweet. A friend took out the DB killer, I did the rest. My hands are sore.

Love the rubber mallet - made my life so much easier!

Thank you for the guidance. :cool

Return to “How To”