7,500 mile service for the 650R

Check here for detailed instructions on how to install products, or work on your 650

Moderator: BRP

hickman71
BRP Approved Tech

7,500 mile service for the 650R

Postby hickman71 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 am

On June, 21st 2008 it was time to perform the 7,500 mile service on my 650R. My mileage was up to 7,487 so the time was now.

Service intervals on many motorcycles are similar. The 250 (I'm a Ninja 250 junkie, too...) and the 650R are very similar, except for the valve adjustment type and interval (first check on the 650R is at 26,000 miles).

I put the 650R on a rear stand and began the service with an oil change.

The oil filter location on the 650R leaves a little to be desired. While it is easy to access, after removing the fairings, there is a larger issue to overcome. that issue is that one of the headers passes directly below the filter and oil gets on the hot header when the filter is removed. (more on that later)

The drain plug is easy to access and is clearly the lowest point on the engine. The head size is 17mm, just like the 250.

After draining the oil, I next remove the filter. I've normally used oil filter strap wrenches, but having enough room to turn the strap wrench is a challenge. So, I bought an inexpensive oil filter cap socket.

Now back to the oil dripping on the headers issue. Each time I change the oil on the 650R, I create a funnel out of cardboard to channel the oil into the oil drain container.

I then drain as much motor oil out of the filter, after checking for any debris, as possible before I throw it away.

I normally use Kawasaki OEM filters, 16097-0004 for all Kawasaki's other than the 250 and older Concours. However, I recently bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 that included a free filter. So, I used the Mobil filter this time.

I spread a light coating of oil on the rubber gasket and then torqued the filter to 13ft-lbs. I also torqued the oil drain plug to 22ft-lbs.

Next was to fill the engine back up with oil. I've been using Repsol 4T 10w50 synthetic in the 650R, and will continue to do so until I run out of my current stock. Once the Repsol is gone, I'll be using Mobil 1 15w-50 from now on. I see no benefits from the Repsol oil, which is 100% more expensive than the Mobil 1.

Repsol does make a handy spigot built into the bottle. That still isn't worth the $7.00 surcharge.

Next on the list was to check the tires and drive train. The front Bridgestone BT-020 had 1.5mm left while the rear had 2mm left. They're good for another 2,000 miles or so as long as it isn't in heavy downpours.

Chain slack was right in the middle of specifications. I then cleaned the chain with kerosene and lubed it with chain wax.

The coolant level was a little low, but still within the upper/lower specifications. I'll top it off the next time I pull the right upper fairing.

I then began checking the controls, brakes, clutch, etc. Last, I went over accessible bolts and checked torque values on them. About 1 in 5 tightened up, though not by much, up to the correct torque value.

With a factory workshop manual and the correct tools, performing routine maintenance is relatively easy to do for most applications. The biggest plus for me is that I know that the work is done right.
The Rally - Oklahoma
tribulation138

Re: 7,500 mile service for the 650R

Postby tribulation138 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:02 pm

What about...spark plugs
air filter
tire alignment
battery water...
I have to many mods to post here.
McRider

Postby McRider » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 am

tribulation138 wrote:What about...spark plugs
air filter
tire alignment
battery water...

You're wasting money and time if you change plugs at 7,500 miles. I changed mine at 30,000 and they still looked fine. It IS a good idea to clean the air filter at 7,500 and the MOM calls for that. WTF is tire allignment? And, the battery is a sealed type.....no topping up with water.
djrussell

Postby djrussell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:26 pm

i think he meant wheel alignment. this is only on the back though to make sure it's tracking straight.

what city are you in? i'm in everett.
tribulation138

Postby tribulation138 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:33 pm

what i meant was to just check the plugs If there fine dont replace them. And on the alignment I was talking about the rear wheel. i always check mine to make sure everything is true and correct for proper tire ware. I guess u can check the slack of the chain to. But most of these things should be a daily thing i guess anyways...
I have to many mods to post here.
hickman71
BRP Approved Tech

Postby hickman71 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:05 pm

What about...spark plugs
air filter
tire alignment
battery water...

I didn't list every item that I checked. The plugs were slightly lean, while the gap on both was in spec. The air filter was fairly clean and required no additional cleaning. I align my rear tire each time I adjust the chain slack. My battery is a sealed unit, so I need to check the distilled water level.
The Rally - Oklahoma
williamr
BRP Approved Tech

Postby williamr » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:51 am

According to my dealer a revised service schedule has the 4K service repeated at 8K and the 7,500 mile service now becomes a 12K service. I'm happy with this because I believe a 12K oil change interval (or annually if you're a low mileage rider) is fine.

I wouldn't use tyres with only 1.5mm of tread and I consider 2mm to be on the edge. 2mm front and 3mm rear is about the minimum. It might rain while you're out.

Apart from items mentioned, lube all moving parts, check steering head bearings, wheel bearings and swinging arm bushes, check brake pads, check all fluid levels, check shock absorber and front fork action and seals, check chain for tight spots, and if it's starting to wear, check the stretch at it slackest point. At 12K I'd also synch the TBs although they shouldn't really need it. No point in doing half a service.

Plugs should be good for at least 20K miles, but change them at 12K anyway as they're a pain to get at and on a twin a single prematurely failing plug can leave you stranded.

Rob
HipGnosis

Postby HipGnosis » Wed May 06, 2009 9:58 am

You run 2 quarts of oil for the engine and transmission for 12K but change spark plugs at 12K... the disparity of those is insane!

williamr wrote: I believe a 12K oil change interval is fine.

Plugs should be good for at least 20K miles, but change them at 12K anyway as they're a pain to get at and on a twin a single prematurely failing plug can leave you stranded.
Rob
williamr
BRP Approved Tech

Postby williamr » Fri May 08, 2009 6:08 am

I think I made my reason for changing the plugs clear. They're cheap to buy but a pain to get at, so I change them early as insurance while the tank is off. A misfiring cylinder on a twin is not something that you want to have to cope with at the roadside. I don't expect the iridium plugs to fail, but a lot of years of having bikes where other plugs have failed makes you cautious.

I've run bikes for over 100K miles with no measurable engine wear going on the book oil change intervals, whatever they may be. I see no reason to change a system that works. In practice, I'm a low mileage rider these days so I do an annual oil change at about 7K.

Actually did the two year service last weekend at 14K miles. That included changing the brake fluid, and while I was at it I fitted new pads, although there was plenty of life in the old ones. I've changed pads at the roadside before now as well, and it's a damm sight easier than changing the plugs. This might sound anal to someone who's only ridden very modern bikes, but If I go on a longish trip I carry the old pads and plugs as spares.

If I prepare a bike for touring I also fit spare clutch and throttle cables ready routed. It's an easy job in a nice warm well lit garage. It can save significant pain at the roadside in pouring rain. I've actually had one clutch and one throttle cable go in my 40 odd years of riding, but Sod's law says that if it's going to go it'll go miles from anywhere in shit weather at the start of a holiday weekend when all the dealer's spares departments are closed for the next four days. That's experience talking lol.

If your engine blows up, you're screwed, but a cable, spark plug or puncture going at the wrong time can destroy a weekend or a holiday just as effectively if you're not prepared for it. If you are it becomes a minor incinvenience.

The whole service took about three hours taking my time over it.

Rob
lamy_chop

Postby lamy_chop » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:56 pm

just did the 7500 mile on my bike (thousand miles late :fool , life gets in the way sometimes and with no car to alternate with....) my biggest issue was getting the tank off. goddamned california emissions crap. the damn lines didn't want to come lose from the tank.
otherwise everything went swimmingly. :grin:
Addohm

Postby Addohm » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:44 am

Subject change imo...

Code: Select all

How to change your oil
HipGnosis

Postby HipGnosis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:51 pm

I've got the 'hot ticket' for keeping oil off the pipes...

Tin foil.

Cheap, available, plyable, stays where you put it (as long as you 'ply' it enough), heat tolerant. Reuseable or disposable too!!

You can thank me enmass.

Return to “How To”