Clutch springs how to

Check here for detailed instructions on how to install products, or work on your 650

Moderator: BRP

David

Re: Clutch springs how to

Postby David » Mon May 17, 2010 3:17 pm

I think the ones that BRP sells are stronger~better than those that are on sale anywhere else. As they are custom made.
BRP

Postby BRP » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm

HipGnosis wrote:

Just did some googling and found;

EBC CSK10 springs
$7.40 @ http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/ ... KU/1409399[/quote]

Go ahead and buy those.
I'm sponsored by EBC, and I would not run their springs or clutch plates
in your bike.
I gave them the specs of the Barnett's I sell, hoping they would be able to match
something. Their springs are 3lbs weaker than stock, and they could not match
my specs. EBC does not make their own springs, I asked if they could custom
make 50 sets. They could not.
My springs are 8lbs stronger than Barnett's MT-55-5's.
HipGnosis

Postby HipGnosis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 pm

[quote="BRP Go ahead and buy those.
I'm sponsored by EBC, and I would not run their springs or clutch plates in your bike.
I gave them the specs of the Barnett's I sell, hoping they would be able to match
something. Their springs are 3lbs weaker than stock, and they could not match
my specs. EBC does not make their own springs, I asked if they could custom
make 50 sets. They could not.
My springs are 8lbs stronger than Barnett's MT-55-5's.[/quote]
Good to know. Thanks!
ZiggyManSaad

Postby ZiggyManSaad » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 am

Gary, can we order those Barnett's through you or your custom made springs?
-Ziggy

Arrow Slip-on Db Killer killed
LSL Drag Bars
Integrated tail light
Woodcraft Sliders and Spools
Hesa Fire Headlight
Custom fender eliminator
BRP

Postby BRP » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:00 am

ZiggyManSaad wrote:Gary, can we order those Barnett's through you or your custom made springs?

The springs I sell are the custom one. The picture is of standard Barnett's.
Mine are green.
ZiggyManSaad

Postby ZiggyManSaad » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 am

How much? I wanna do the change in the spring. But I'm not sure if I want to switch to the Yoyodyne or just do the springs.

Another question totally unrelated(or it might be), how much are you asking for part number 46091A. The throttle casing. When I laid my bike down, I broke the plastic nub on the inside and my throttle gets stuck from time to time. Got really bad yesterday at a stop light when the rear tire actually started to spin. Shut the bike off, put it in neutral, turned it on, still did it. Clutch feels weaker now. Before, I could pull the clutch half way in and it would engage, now it feels like i'm pulling it past my thigh before it engages. :fool

Any help would be great. I'll post this in tech as well. Thanks!
-Ziggy

Arrow Slip-on Db Killer killed
LSL Drag Bars
Integrated tail light
Woodcraft Sliders and Spools
Hesa Fire Headlight
Custom fender eliminator
Johnny Wishbone

Postby Johnny Wishbone » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread but thought it would be better than to post a new on on the subject.
I use my ER-6n for fast, back road use, often shifting up without using the clutch, in general showing very little mechanical sympathy for my trusty steed and I'm a little concerned it's going to takes it's toll on my clutch so I think heavy duty springs might be for me but I'm not really sure of the advantages of them. Also would it be worth going for the Barnett Tempered Steel Metal Plates and what exactly are they anyway?
I'm in the UK and in a position where I can get these for their trade price so this isn't likely to result in a sale for BRP but I'd still really appreciate any feedback. Are the standard Barnett Springs still a worthwhile upgrade instead of the custom ones BRP sell?
Addohm

Postby Addohm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Upgraded springs will result in less clutch wear.

The existing Ninja 650r Clutch Plates are already stainless steel, if that is what you're referring to.
Johnny Wishbone

Postby Johnny Wishbone » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Barnett offer, aswell as the uprated springs, their own Friction Plates and Tempered Steel Metal Plates. I wondered what the advantages are of fitting them, how it makes the clutch feel/operate and if it is worthwhile for a road bike.
BRP

Postby BRP » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:11 am

I put OEM plates in every bike I work on.
Only exception is if a customer has bought their own after market plates.
Only racer I heard bragging on how good Barnett's plates are, is sponsored
by them, and get them for free.
951_ninjarider

Postby 951_ninjarider » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:52 pm

I am using the Barnett Kit on my 650 now. I have to tell you that i am a Sponsored Rider but only at a % off of the normal retail price (i don not get them for free). I went with them because I have the Vortek 14 Front Sprocket and a 48 Rear Sprocket (Sponsor also) set up. With the gearing the stock clutch would only hold for about 30-40min. After that when I hit the throttle the RPM would go up but the MPH would not. The gearing was too big for the stock clutch to handle so I called Barnett and they hooked me up. But I have still been thinking of going with BRP's Spring kit cause i know that its stronger then the ones I have now, and i know that it hold even that much stronger and keep me in the right grove from all of the post that every one says when they use the BRP Spring Kit.
Blown Motor
Parting Out Complete 650
Johnny Wishbone

Postby Johnny Wishbone » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 am

So the point of them over standard plates is to last longer and withstand more abuse, so are really only an option for racers or bikes that hugely increased bhp? Does it make the clutch more difficult to operate so harder work in traffic?
951_ninjarider

Postby 951_ninjarider » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

The Clutch plates just grab better over the stock Clutch but it is really the Springs that do all of the work. With the combo of the plates and springs it is great for the hard RPM that I put on the motor. But for an everyday 650 I would only do the BRP Springs as that will be a great performance part over the stock springs. But the beefed up springs will make a little harder to pull in the clutch lever. Our clutches are cable so you have to do the work with the more powerful springs.
Blown Motor
Parting Out Complete 650
Johnny Wishbone

Postby Johnny Wishbone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks BRP and 951_ninjarider. I'm now a lot more clued up on clutch plates and springs. Will be adding some standard Barnett springs to my bike soon though not until I replace my clutch cable, which I've just noticed is frayed, no doubt due to my ham-fisted installation of my Pazzo levers a few months back.
vircotto

Postby vircotto » Wed May 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks for the pictures and guide I am going to be putting my springs on this weekend!

Return to “How To”