How To: Create your own actual seat for the catalyst tail

Check here for detailed instructions on how to install products, or work on your 650

Moderator: BRP

cefoskey

How To: Create your own actual seat for the catalyst tail

Postby cefoskey » Sat May 30, 2009 5:08 pm

So I had held off from buying a catalyst tail for a long time, mainly due to the fact that you have to sit on a mousepad typically. While there are some okay-feeling pads available, I decided that what I really wanted was a seat like most any stock bike would have: covered and contoured foam. Heres how I created just that.

Materials:
2005 Ninja 636 Seat
Heat-formable plastic sheeting (PETE, PS, even acrylic if youre patient. you can get the best stuff at auto upholstery shops.)
Heat Gun
Staple Gun + 1/4" staples
Electric carving knife
Velcro

Start by taking the tail off the bike and elevating it so that you can work your plastic to its shape. It helps to cut the plastic to your seat shape (at least roughly) first. Lay the sheet on the bike and work it over with the heat gun until it begins to lay in contour with the saddle.

This is the result after a good deal of heating and working the plastic

Next, you will want to disassemble your 636 seat, which involved removing the staples from the underside of the seat frame and uncovering the foam padding. Youll notice that the contour of the 636 saddle kicks up in the back while the catalyst tail is pretty much flat. This is why you cant just use the 636 seat as it is.

Some guys on the boards have used other bike seats on the catalyst tail, but that involves hacking the crap out of the fiberglass significantly weakening it, and using a tail that may not match up against the tank on the front edge.

Next, youll use the carving knife to reshape the foam to be flat on the underside, for the most part. Originally I was trying to build a hot-wire foam cutter, but decided to try the knife. It worked perfectly.

Now lay the foam onto your seat platform and trace the contour onto it, then trim the plastic to fit the foam (when its curved!)

Once the seat base has been trimmed to fit, you have to trim the front of the foam padding with scissors to match the tank interface on the 650. When the foam is shaped, lay it on the base and stretch the original seat cover back onto your new seat assembly and staple away. This is pretty tedious, but use lots of staples and be patient. Work the cover around the edge as you go trying to avoid wrinkles.

Now youve got a real seat!

I am using velcro to attach the seat to the tail, since it covers up the forward attachment bolts. You could have installed studs inside through the seat that would allow you to bolt it through the underside of the tail if you really wanted, but that seemed like overkill.

There you have it! A real seat on the 'glass.

Image Image
06 Ninja 650RS SOLD | 06 Daytona 675
gr33nninja

Re: How To: Create your own actual seat for the catalyst tail

Postby gr33nninja » Sat May 30, 2009 7:50 pm

+1 good job! :cool
"Nobody who rides a sportbike calls them crotch rockets. It's like a harley rider saying he rides a gay dressed-up pirate machine." GOOSE
tribulation138

Postby tribulation138 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:59 pm

the thing that deters me from buying the tail is where do fit all the electronic stuff and wires under the seat. and what about the taillight..
I have to many mods to post here.
A1C-Tim

Postby A1C-Tim » Sat May 30, 2009 8:09 pm

The tail light he's waiting for a template to get to him in one way shape or form so he can have the template to cut it out for the CA Intergrated light. As for the rest of the stuff I will let him answer that :2020
cefoskey

Postby cefoskey » Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm

tribulation138 wrote:the thing that deters me from buying the tail is where do fit all the electronic stuff and wires under the seat. and what about the taillight..

I have the "race" version of the tail since I got it second hand. the street version has a light hole cut. im in somewhat of a pickle since I cant easily trace the shape and cut my own out. tim is trying to help me out with that.

as far as under seat stuff goes, you dont lose anything besides space for the little tool kit bag. nothing electronic has to be removed since it was all attached to the subframe.
Image Image
06 Ninja 650RS SOLD | 06 Daytona 675
itln650r

Postby itln650r » Sun May 31, 2009 12:45 am

very nice work sir!
2008 650R FIGHTER:-sold
2003 katana fighter-sold
2003 CBR F4I-destroyed
1983 Kawi KZ550-current

Return to “How To”