MX Bars

Post here about any new accessory product you might find, or have installed on your 650

Moderator: BRP

Stuartdup

MX Bars

Postby Stuartdup » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 am

Hey, has anyone put MX bars on their 650? :?: I'm in South Africa, finding any aftermarket stuff for the 650 here is a nightmare. & it costs $70 to $96 just for shipping from the US.
PS: Getting a locally made slip on in the next week, Will post pics.

:moto
trukdryverchuck

Re: MX Bars

Postby trukdryverchuck » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 am

I considered that idea also. Would love to see how that works out.
CSBA #1091
USCG Aux
Patriot Guard Rider
God Bless our men & women in uniform
http://www.honorandremember.info/index.php
lurch

Postby lurch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 am

Not MX bars as such but I fitted Renthal road ultra low bars to my ER6n from B & C Express in the UK http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/. They carry a number of different types so you should be able to find what you want. Just keep bodywork clearances and cable lengths etc in mind, this might help http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.asp?tabtype=5&productid=0&appid=ROAD&zone=

From memory they were less than $70 AUD delivered to my door and arrived very quickly. I know a number of people who have purchased from them and all were very happy.
Stuartdup

Postby Stuartdup » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks Lurch, I can get Renthal bars here roughly between $65 & $100. I'll look into it. How much of a mission was it to drill the holes for the control housings?
lurch

Postby lurch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Wasn't really a drama, just take your time. I put a dab of paint on the switch block locating tab, lined it all up and the paint left a circular mark on the bars for me to lightly centre punch and drill. Took a couple of attempts before I was happy enough to drill but worked out perfectly.
Stuartdup

Postby Stuartdup » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:59 am

:cool I was thinking of using a vernier caliper, but your way seems much less complicated!
Stuartdup

Postby Stuartdup » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 am

As promised, pictures of my new Cowley exhaust, made in South Africa. There is a noticeable power increase, lifts in first & second without asking her to. Pipe is also :f loud!!
Er6f COWLEY1.jpg
COWLEY1.jpg
Er6f with COWLEY pipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stuartdup

Postby Stuartdup » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Managed to find suppliers of Drag Bars, will possibly go for those. Might have to drill them though...
gr33nninja

Postby gr33nninja » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 am

http://www.sportingforless.com/servlet/ ... Categories copy and paste this adress they have all kinds of bars for cheap!
"Nobody who rides a sportbike calls them crotch rockets. It's like a harley rider saying he rides a gay dressed-up pirate machine." GOOSE
_vertical.flight_

Postby _vertical.flight_ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Stuartdup wrote:As promised, pictures of my new Cowley exhaust, made in South Africa. There is a noticeable power increase, lifts in first & second without asking her to. Pipe is also :f loud!!
Er6f COWLEY1.jpg
COWLEY1.jpg
Er6f with COWLEY pipe.jpg

That pipe looks almost exactly like the old Scorpion exhausts, just without the brand badge. The bikes lookin good though!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Cope

Postby Cope » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Your bike is looking very nice! Should be able to get any 7/8 od standard dirtbike bar for your clamp. Did you say $100 for these where you are at? is that in a foreign currency or hows that... those things are available on the net for $15-$20 I'm guessing things are a little tougher to ship to S. Africa? Even Amazon has them(link) And it looks like shipping will be no more than $30 max according to their shipping rates Check it out, might be able to get something different for less of an investment.
"Others of you will choose imprisonment, for the fear of freedom and the responsibility for personal choice is too much to bear."
Stuartdup

Postby Stuartdup » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 am

Thanks, didn't think to check Amazon. I like the LSL low bars, but I can only seem to source those in the states, that's where the $100 comes in for shipping with UPS. MX bars are the easiest to get is SA (virtually any bike dealer), but I'm concerned about clearences. I've been reading about guys changing their rake & trail by lowering their tripples by 10mm.The main reason I want new bars is to improve handling, that mod might be all I need, so I'm gonna try that first.
djrussell

Postby djrussell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:03 pm

USPS has always had cheaper rates for international shipping as far as i know. i shipped a swingarm to europe for ~$80. i'd be surprised if a set of bars to S. Africa is more than $40.
Johnny Wishbone

Postby Johnny Wishbone » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm

lurch wrote:Wasn't really a drama, just take your time. I put a dab of paint on the switch block locating tab, lined it all up and the paint left a circular mark on the bars for me to lightly centre punch and drill. Took a couple of attempts before I was happy enough to drill but worked out perfectly.

Is this completely neccessary? I hadn't anticipated any drilling being involved in the swap! I'm planning on putting the Low or Ultra low Renthal on my 07 n in the next few weeks.
lurch

Postby lurch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Johnny Wishbone wrote:
lurch wrote:Wasn't really a drama, just take your time. I put a dab of paint on the switch block locating tab, lined it all up and the paint left a circular mark on the bars for me to lightly centre punch and drill. Took a couple of attempts before I was happy enough to drill but worked out perfectly.

Is this completely neccessary? I hadn't anticipated any drilling being involved in the swap! I'm planning on putting the Low or Ultra low Renthal on my 07 n in the next few weeks.

Yes, it's what locates the switch blocks on the bars. If you don't drill, or choose to file/grind the tabs off, the switch blocks will be able to move around on the bars. Not drilling also = big gap down the centre of the blocks (where the two halves meet).
2007 650R

Postby 2007 650R » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 pm

You might not have to drill through completely. Just enough for the bumpy thing to go in. Thats what I did to my clip ons when I had my 650R.
I now ride a 2009 Monster Edition ZX6R.
Milimande

Postby Milimande » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:31 pm

that is sexy time exhaust

Return to “Accessories”