ear plug recommendations

Post here about any new accessory product you might find, or have installed on your 650

Moderator: BRP

kawigreen

ear plug recommendations

Postby kawigreen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:05 pm

so i usually just wear the cheep stuff you get at walmart after a long days ride they start to get real uncomfortable what do you wear and anyone use the custom ones? any advantages are they worth the money? im looking for some to block the noise but still allow for me to hear radio and intercom
Honinjsuz

Re: ear plug recommendations

Postby Honinjsuz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:10 pm

My own practice is to just go with the cheap foam (walmart, costco, etc.) in a big package. If they are the longer ones that get brushed by my helmet when donning, I just cut 'em down with scissors about 1/4 in. Roll 'em small, insert, they swell back to size. Dont stuff 'em in too tight, take 'em out every time you stop for a few minutes. Dont have to clean 'em, just throw away after each day or two. Cleaning the custom (read: expensive) ones must be done regularly, and even at that they will have to be replaced in a few years (and dont you folks who sell 'em deny it). If you lose one of the expensive ones (easy to do), you,ve lost big money- cheapies, you,ve lost a few cents. The foams even clean your ear canal a bit. Spend your money on something else. IMO
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Walmart, Walgreens, hardware shops. I use the disposables too. Comfy, loosable and tossable. I find they filter out just enough wind noise I can hear my helmet speakers better too. I have a riding buddy who had custom noise canceling inserts made that allow him to hear his mp3 and radar through, but he also rides a Ducati, Husaberg, and Aprillia. When I found I could ride a 350 mile sport tour and not have my ears ringing and head buzzing at dinner, I was sold on the disposables.

Purely subjective.

Also good for Metallica, Megadeth, Nugent, Pantera, Anthrax concerts. :thumbup:
vircotto

Postby vircotto » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I ordered a sample pack of earplugs it came in a big ziploc bag full of different kinds of disposable ear plugs, I will look for the site again I'll let you know if I find it. Maybe you can find some that won't be uncomfortable for you.

Edit: Found it http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html

At this link they have a few different sample packs, I believe I ordered just the highest rated NRR for $7.29.
On the ones they list for motorcycles the lowest NRR I saw was 12, I might have missed some though.
David

Postby David » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 am

E.A.R soft classics seem to do the job - I just ebayed mine.
Think that some people get the 1000 containers and split em out.

you can get some diy ones, Im looking to get them. Seen that you can put the driver of in ear phones into the mould and then listen to your music. Sounds like a good idea.
HipGnosis

Postby HipGnosis » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:13 pm

I've ridden and worked in noisy industrial environments for years.
The best ear plugs are HearOs (brand) - best sound attenuation / suppression and good feel.
But for riding, I long ago figured that as long as I'm putting something in my ears I might as well listen to some music. I've tried a lot of ear buds, over a lot of prices. My current favs happen to be some of the cheapest - SkullCandy Ink'd's with Comply (brand) isolation tips.
I have my MP3 player or smart phone at the lowest volume - the music is easily ignored when I have to give full attention to driving.

Return to “Accessories”