BRP Air Box Mod

Post here on any modifications you have done, or have found for the Kawi

Moderator: BRP

sportyaccordy

Re: BRP Air Box Mod

Postby sportyaccordy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 pm

For someone who doesn't ride their bike in heavy rains at all (and doesn't park in the rain), would it make sense to just cut a big hole in the airbox? Maybe even get some ram air action going?

What about ditching the airbox completely and just putting filters on the throttle bodies?
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Haven't ditched the airbox yet.

Get youself a Power Commander first so you can get it to run right again after you try something like that. Helps to at least have a freer flowing silencer to compliment a freer flowing intake.

I posted an intake scoop mod I made in Performance Mods. It made a noticeable difference being able to intake cooler air from in front of the radiator.
Retro Rocketeer

Postby Retro Rocketeer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 pm

As the saying goes, "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is."

One of my personal favs, ". . . and lap times never lie."
My track coach, "What did the stopwatch say?"

Never be afraid to experiment. It only costs time and money. Getting something wrong puts you one step closer to getting it right?
tRUMBLE02

Postby tRUMBLE02 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:25 pm

don't want to ask the stupid question but...... what r u doing with the stock "snorkel" holes in this mod. have you plugged those?left them open?put "snorkels" back in?
biketechted

Postby biketechted » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:27 pm

I've personally removed the snorkels and left the stock holes open.
sportyaccordy

Postby sportyaccordy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 pm

biketechted wrote:I've personally removed the snorkels and left the stock holes open.

I have done the same. Like the sound, not sure it's any faster though.
RB.

Postby RB. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:54 pm

sportyaccordy wrote:
biketechted wrote:I've personally removed the snorkels and left the stock holes open.

I have done the same. Like the sound, not sure it's any faster though.

same here. sound is cool and loud. i did exhaust and air filter and removed snorkels and sub-plates all at the same time so dont know if this mod makes it faster alone.
bearster18

Postby bearster18 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 am

i Plan on doing the pair valve mod this weekend and was going to mod the airbox plus popping out the snorkels. Are the snorkels hard to get out with the air box out? Seems they just pull out correct?
electjohn

Postby electjohn » Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 am

Correct
cknauf

Postby cknauf » Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Some data from the field -- those two big top forward holes do nothing but make the power curve more ragged. Taping them over produced the same power.
BRP

Postby BRP » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm

cknauf wrote:Some data from the field -- those two big top forward holes do nothing but make the power curve more ragged. Taping them over produced the same power.

Please elaborate.
cknauf

Postby cknauf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 am

Taping over the big holes that went in the dents didn't have any effect on the power curve except for removing some dips in the midrange, but the dyno guy didn't save any info for comparison. I've got a stock airbox and will try various combinations, hopefully after this coming race weekend. Hope to see if this ZX-10 fuel pump and resulting higher fuel pressure does anything too.
sportyaccordy

Postby sportyaccordy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 am

For people saying the noise is negligible... hogwash... I just did a long ride yesterday and my right ear is still ringing. Its def not the exhaust either, cause I "re-snorkeled" and the harsh flatulent sound goes away, but the engine sounds pretty flat + characterless now.

My question is, has anyone messed with the baffle length? I am thinking about picking up another air box to mess with, including chopping down the snorkels to 1/2 length.
varunnarula123

Postby varunnarula123 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 am

Hi Gary

Went through this thread and decided to mod the airbox on my 2012 650.

Unfortunately, the airbox of the 2012+ models looks completely different from the earlier ones.
For starters the filter is placed horizontally and there are already two 2" holes for intakes in the box fed via snorkels.

Confused as to how to proceed with the mod and where to cut.
BRP

Postby BRP » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 am

I'd have to see it in person to give accurate advise.
From the parts fiche , the 1st thing I would try is removing the snorkels.
Although, they might work as ram air.
Probably would not do anything else unless you have access to a dyno.
See the DNA Filter post :cool
MFCC08

Postby MFCC08 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Hey Gary,
I did this awhile back and am running the fuel map on here that everyone said was too rich and my gas mileage stinks... it also seems to bog out if you go WOT anywhere below 6k. You don't happen to have a fuel map for the airbox mod you did on your bike? Secondly, what other mods did you do in combination with it? Did you leave your sub throttle plates in?

Return to “Performance Upgrades”